Impenetrable FBX objects (Maya)

Dear reader/rescuer,

First of all, I am a complete newbie to Unreal Engine, so I have no clue whether or not this is a stupid question I am asking

Here’s my problem:
I created an entire building in maya, and I wanted to use it in Unreal Engine. I exported the FBX file (including textures) and imported it in UE4, but when I try to enter the building (I created open doors in maya, so entrance could be possible), there seems to be an invisible wall around the model (probably the model’s boundaries). Is there a way to fix this, or do I have to recreate the building in the UnrealEd?

Welcome! :smiley:

That’s called collision :slight_smile:

Take a look at this video:

Is it possible for me to create very complicated and big collision maps, as is required with architecture?
If so, will I have to use the method explained in the video?
Does UE4 recognise your UCE_name mesh as collision mesh automatically?

Nevertheless, thanks for your answer, and for trying to solve my problem

For a very big mesh you could also use the “use complex as simple” collision -> but when the mesh is really complex I personally would create collision boxes (UCX_mesh name), because they are better for the performance + you dont need such a precise collision :smiley:

1. you can use one of the three ways
  2. yes, as long as you use UCX_…

Here you can find more information about collisions: https://docs.unrealengine/latest/INT/Engine/Physics/Collision/Reference/index.html

So I can create as many collision boxes as i want, because as long as I give the right one the right name, UE4 will link the right box to the right mesh in my FBX?

As far as I know yes :slight_smile: