iMac for Unreal Engine 4

Hello,
I’m very new to Unreal Engine 4 and as my PC is too weak to run it I have to buy a new one and for a couple of reasons I decided to buy a Mac. But I’m not sure if a 2013 iMac is enough. Can Unreal Engine 4 be used on a 5K iMac (2014 and 2015)? Is a Intel Core i5 processor enough or do I need a Intel Core i7 one?
Is the Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 too weak for Unreal Engine 4? Is 1TB Fusion Drive enough?
Thanks in advance for any answers.

Hell yeah. Im running ue4 on my laptop with a intel core i5 processor and 1tb processor 8gb ram 1gb video card. And its a laptop! Yeah it will run fine on your mac :stuck_out_tongue:

I know this is thread is dated…but I thought I’d throw in my 2-cents.

My 2013 27 inch iMac, with 3.2 GHz intel Core i5 and 8 gigs of RAM, sporting a NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M 1024 MB video card is not enough. I get consistent crashes when trying to populate a small scene with foliage. I want to use Unreal, but it seems not able to handle any type of heavy load on my current system. It was a simple scene with no texturing on the ground plane…began placing foliage and it would crash. This was a small, simple scene…I’m not sure why it would crash, but that has been my experience. I’ve had to use Unity3d because it’s not crashing on me and has been relatively easy to use to set scenes and quick mockups.

That’s my 2-cents.

It depends on the specifications of the iMac and what you want to do with the engine.
An i5 should not be a problem (On several high-performance project, it turns out that hyper-threading can be a disadvantage).
But be sure to have a decent amount of ram 32GB is recommended, so go as close as this as you can (although you don’t seem to have much of a choice with Apple).
Get a good book though. Building the lighting and the thousands of shaders will take ages.

You’d want an SSD over an hybrid drive. Even if the SSD is smaller.

I’ve just looked at what Apple has in stores and the only macs that have comfortable specs are the iMac pro (At least 32GB of RAM, powerful CPU choices, dedicated GPU, dedicated SSD. Of course the price is “Apple”, so you get to pay two to three times its worth.

If your iMac choice is to avoid MS, which I can relate to, I must say that I’ve been there but the editor was not working very well on my Mac nor on my Linux machines (crashes, GUI glitches, …). I ended up re-purposing an old one (i7 2600K, 32GB, some SSD and HD) to be a dedicated UE4/Windows workstation and the experience is better than on any of my more recent monsters. Given the time lost rebuilding, I’m contemplating building its replacement around the next Threadripper in a few months.
So you may muse on the idea to buy two machines: a smaller Mac for anything else (sparing money) and something stronger and reasonably priced for EU4.