I'm running UE5 on Windows 10. Should I upgrade to Windows 11?!

I’m running UE5 on Windows 10. Should I upgrade to Windows 11? Is there a consensus on whether upgrading to Windows 11 is advisable at present?

I have been using UE5 on Windows 11 and it has been running fine. I am relying on the fact that Windows 10 isn’t that different from Windows 11 while I am not sure if Epic officially supports Windows 11 for UE5 yet though.

2 Likes

I have the same dilemma. I bought Windows 11 Pro and am wondering whether to install.
Theoretically, it’s the same system … theoretically! You just have to take into account the fact that one update can CHANGE EVERYTHING.

Why am I already thinking about changing to the inevitable and “only right” Windows 11?

Sooner or later, you have to switch to it, the clock is ticking …
In two months I will finish my previous kind of projects.
If I start new UE5 projects on Windows 10 and during them, I will have to switch to Windows 11 … I can already see potential problems like reinstallations, compatibility, wasted time etc.

I replaced almost all pc hardware. I still have a graphics card and I think Windows …
I still have to think about it, but I’ll probably install Windows 11 in a month at the latest.

Many people have problems with Windows 11, and in many cases, the problems are not with Windows 11 itself, but with system clutter.
For me, it will probably be better to investigate the beast - Windows 11 sooner than later, when I don’t have time for it anymore.

… I’d like to read your opinions, so feel free to write :slightly_smiling_face:

I went ahead and upgraded to Windows 11 yesterday.
Really glad I did. No problems with UE so far. Everything feels more responsive actually and just better. Whether that’s Windows 11 or being a fresh upgrade is anyone’s guess. I didn’t reinstall anything else.

I also upgraded from 10 to 11 about a week ago. No major complaints. (I miss the old sounds!) UE looks to behave the same.

Thanks for the info. Can I ask what’s the spec of your machine?

I upgraded to Windows 11 last week and UE5 seems to be working fine.

I use windows 11 and hate it. 10 is wayyy better.

This is all my experience but I definitely have noticed a drastic increase in crashes as a result of D3D Device Lost Crashes, I’ve also noticed that projects made on windows 10 as early as last year cant run without since the DXIII? (don’t know what its called) is incompatible with windows 11. Not sure how to fix that issue,

(i’ve had 4 D3D crashes today, only had 2 in total from using windows 10 in 6 months) The issue only present itself when you mess with older projects made before a specific version of windows 10, or at least that’s what it seams. New projects made in windows 11 and most made with recent versions of windows 10 seam to work perfectly (as long as you don’t mess with projects that are supper old, because for some reason that causes issues with the engine installation itself)

I have a new PC with Windows 11 Home, and UE5 (apparently) installed, but UE5 won’t even Launch! Is it the “Home” part that is messing me up? Would things be better with “Pro”? I really only want UE5 in order to buy assets and export them. I use 3D models of various kinds in my comics illustration.)

Technically that violets the License Agreement and the actual License that you are purchasing to USE said Assets That’s what your actually really buying. All the assets I’ve ever used for free or paid for on Unreal Engine Market Place has this in the license if you ready it. So technically if you are using it fort anything outside of Unreal you are technically voiding that license and making your “Any other Project” Illegal.

You might want to contact the sellers directly and buy a different license… or a website like CGTrader or something along those lines. That gives you the rights to use those assets almost anywhere. Just hate you to see your Comic to be sized and shut down and confiscated by one of the licensee sellers. Which they totally can do if you violate it. Just a heads up.

Anyway, originally found this posting because I purchased Windows 11 Pro on sale for a REALLY Good deal! I want to upgrade badly because the copy of Windows 10 I have is “a weird version” I got from when I went to Game Dev School (Which was a waste of money I didn’t learn anything. Already knew everything) Anyway, this version of Windows 10 I have won’t let me upgrade to Windows 11 for free. Its very chunky, and slow. I also get a lot of weird issues. Not sure if its just because its been years since I’ve fresh installed or not. But glad I see more positive comments about UE5 + Windows 11 Pro.

I did the Tester Program. Apparently I need to activate the TPM setting. Never heard of this before. My PC is is getting old but near start of COVID it was the best available. higher end ASUS Board, 32gb of DDR4 3600 OC Ram, and i9 9900K that one that was almost $1000 in that like Giant Dome Plastic Container. I built it myself, well I’ve been building PCs since the early 90s first one being a 386!! then upgraded to the 486! LOL

Anyway, enough rambling. Gonna look in the BIOS for this TPM setting and upgrade today. I’ll post my results.

I just installed Windows 11, and I am wondering if there is a way to open a project in spesific Unreal version? Double clicking the uproject will open only the latest one (5.3). And when I right click, there is no option to choose the Unreal version.

Anyone facing this issue? Thank you

Hi Rick,

Windows 11 hides some of the right-click context menu options under an extra button.

Also, if you open your .uproject with a text editor you can change engine versions. (only to a higher version)

Hi,
Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I tried the extra menu, it is not there, and I also check the UPROJECT with notepad, it says 5.1 but still opening 5.3. I am not sure why.

Hi Rick,

I’m on a Windows 11 OS today, I right-clicked on my .uproject file and selected ‘Show More Options’ at the bottom. This brought up the context menu with ‘Switch Unreal Engine Version…’

If you’ve been working with revision control, maybe the .uproject is read-only and is not getting updated to 5.3 when opened in 5.3.