Download

I'm out from UE4 to Unity

Epic Games are working hard on a documentation update; Have patience on that front! I’m sure we’ll hear soon with an update to all that!

Also, to learn, you’re more than welcome to watch all of the community’s tutorials as well as Epic’s videos! :>

Once you leave any other technology to use UE, you might get a bit frustrated. But when you leave UE4 to use other technologies, you defiantly will regret it :wink:
I’m telling you from a long background of jumping between lots of technologies/tools in commercial work and that includes getting frustrated when I moved from Custom Engine to UE3, but I got regret when I moved from UE3 to custom one!

Lol try adding a few digits mate…

Documentation sometimes takes longer to implement than features, imagine trying to write down and explain every minute detail in your game so that somebody else could follow along, but then realise that you weren’t the one who did it, and you have to ask somebody else whose busy programming features. Documentation will no doubt always be a WIP but the engine is still new guys, you can’t expect 100% perfect docs upon release, especially given how many teething stages the engine is still going through. The comparisons being made are to engines that are almost 10 years old now, give it a chance!

The community makes up for it however, if you know how to ask a question properly you’ll almost always intrigue somebody more experienced to look into it themselves.

The only printed book I’ve seen for Unreal Engine is not an official one, and already the content in it is out of date. There was a genuine line in the book that read “I’m not sure why it works that way, it just does!”, so take that as a taster of the overall quality and level of knowledge in it. The Wiki, YouTube tutorials, Documentation & this forum have so many answers to common questions in them already, and they can be updated in realtime, and are ALWAYS up to date.

Furthermore, why people insist on comparing Unreal to Unity I have no idea. They are not even remotely similar by design or purpose.

I thinking in change too, because problems with rift and performance problems since 4.2. Each versión its worst in peformance and bugs in RV, really frustating, i like UE4, i spend lots of time with UE4 and i would hate go to other engine… but patience have limits.

I would like to add couple of thins here to. I’m doing games for 10 years now. Used: torque, unigine, unity, custom engines, ue3 and now ue4. Couple of things:

• If you want to make small 2d mobile game - use Unity. UE4 is still experimental in my opinion. Paper2d, UMG and low-mid end devices support. Lack of ads platforms, problems with micropayments on Android. Build size. We are near of shipping small 2d game using planes and textures but it would be much more easier to create in Unity. (faster, without problems and with more device support)
  • If you want to make big 3d mobile game - use UE3, or wait couple of months for UE4: hi-end device support is OK, but it’s hard to get your game running on mid-end devices (like iPad Mini) because of performance and lack of possibility to scale down shaders. Dynamic lighting is still missing some features (like DLE as in UE3 which was really helpful) I’ve done 2 big games in UE3: Real Boxing and Hellraid: The Escape and the engine was great, much more performance than UE4, much more flexibility.

Basically for mobile - we all are early adopters, we can learn the engine, but it’s not shipping ready for Mobile, even on K1. The problem is that there is a lot of samples that are working fine, but I think that Epic don’t have resources to create 2d game + 3d AAA game on mobile and check the issues, there is a lot of them.

• If you want to make PC/Console game - UE4 is for you. It’s best engine out there for those platforms. It’s shipping ready but there are couple of issues with blueprints which can break development: cycling references, global functions library and UMG issues.

As about racing games - UE3/UE4 is not for you, vehicle simulation is just to simple. I can’t find any good racing game made using UE. Basically you should pick engine to your needs, or invest to your own implementation. You can implement havoc and replace the physics engine.

Let’s give some time for Epic, they are doing great job and talking with us. Hope they will get more funds to hire more people and just start creating games using their engine. One title isn’t enough if you want to support all types of games. Crossed fingers!

Erm there are better 2d Game engines out there than Unity.

I agreed with your post until this point - Racing games can be done just fine in UE. In fact, You could make many different types of racing games with UE - Especially UE4. And since we have source code access, there isn’t really a limit on what you can do with it. Just because you don’t know how doesn’t mean it’s not possible :wink:

The point is none of these disappointed devs are going to make the next Gran Turismo.

Agreed Errvald, It comes to the point of whats our perspective on the matter, Some people say “I will make a game” but cannot understand how difficult this industry is. Wishing for a “make game now” button doesn’t help them either, I know for a fact that when you join a company you are expected to learn the engine, Nobody will hold your hand and show you the way, Even if there is documentation a lot of times you will be asked to implement new things from scratch to introduce new technologies, create new tools for your artists and so on.

I’ve used CryEngine, Unreal Engine and Unity (along with other smaller effects engines) and to be fair the concept to me is the same, They all share the same language as to whats defined as speed, drag and so on. I can understand that code can be different or i might be wrong and be the same. So change to unity, Then change back to UE4, Then change to Unity. That is most people do lately like switching engines is a game. I find most people lacking the ability to plan their future. Sure it will take you more time to sit down and read the docs or go through the code but well “no pain no gain”.
I personally had to go through most of effects and shaders and art pipeline when i joined UE4 beta both for testing it and making sure i didn’t miss some function. Sure it’s painful and consumes time but it was a personal choice, I can’t judge someone though even with the above said for switching as it’s a personal preference and only we know what we know (What we’ve been through).

Sorry if I insult someone just my personal opinion on this whole shifting business.

not that im making a racing game but,
this would mean ripping out physx and replacing the entire physics engine as the vehicles are unusable atm, no thanks ill use an engine with good physics already.
ue4 mobile performance is less than poor, sure i could dig into the source and try to improve it myself, no thanks ill use an engine that runs good on mobile already.

everybody goes on about switching between ue4, cryengine and unity. there are plenty of other engines out there you know.
personally i will use Project Anarchy for my games, at least until ue4 matures considerably.

People are already using vehicles in UE4 for their games and they seem to work. Also there are games and demos for mobile working fast with amazing graphics.

If you think Project Anarchy or the likes are more mature it just shows how serious or experienced you are.

project anarchy runs well on mid range and older devices, ue4 does not run all all for these, even on the newest devices there are many problems, you must be aware of this?

you think this is acceptable? this is just 1 of many serious vehicle bugs. people at physx even agree there are big problems and are currently working on major improvements, but ue4 will not see them for quite some time.

UE4’s vehicle system is bugged and kind of broke, you can fix a couple of the bugs if your willing to play with the source, as it is right now if you want to make a car like in BF4/GTA or gran turismo UE4(as is when downloaded) simply isn’t capable of it.

–EDIT–

tegleg, you ninja’d me:)

I came from Unity to UE4, and imho the grass is not greener on the other side.

Also, I don’t believe it’s fair comparing UE4 and Unity on the documentation level. Fact is, UE4 is a very young engine as it really only had 9 months of exposure to the general public. The year or so before was licensees only and they enjoyed almost 101 access to engine developers.

On the other hand, Unity had years to build up their documentation resources due to longer public exposure, and to be honest, Unity did not change in 5 years as much as UE4 did in the last 9 months.

At the end what one uses to do their projects is a matter of personal preference, and if Unity does the job better, by all means.

But there’s no escaping C# in Unity, so replacing C++ with C# is not changing much in that regard. :slight_smile:

Tegleg:

I wish you the best of luck with Project Anarchy, or whichever engine you wind up on. You are right that there are a lot of engines, and UE4 may not be a good fit for you. We should respect your decision - you know what’s best for you and your project and nobody should be telling you otherwise.

However, part of the reason this thread refuses to die is because you insist on taking parting shots, like “no thanks ill use an engine with good physics already.” and “no thanks ill use an engine that runs good on mobile already.” You might have had issues with physics and mobile performance, but you’re painting with awfully broad strokes there, and you’re saying things that run contrary to what many people here are experiencing. For example, our team has seen tremendous performance on mobile with UE4 using really large maps and vertex counts that we wouldn’t have even considered when we were on Unity… and we haven’t even started optimizing yet and we haven’t had to write a single custom mobile shader. We’ve just followed Epic’s guidelines and have been really, really happy with the mobile performance.

If you want to go to another engine, that’s cool. Go. If you want to lay down specific reasons here or on AnswerHub why UE4 isn’t a good fit for you or where you think it needs to be improved, that’s cool too. I’m know for certain that the Epic folk will listen and take your feedback into account when planning future versions.

But, there’s no call for making broad-based negative assertions about the engine. When you do that, you’re putting down the hard work of a lot of people yet not helping them improve the engine.

Hey TegLeg -

My advice would be to check out Torque 3D. It has gotten allot of major improvements since it has gone open source about 2 years ago.
It is available under the MIT License. They are working on making the engine multi-platform and improving the rendering pipeline from forward to Deffered. With PBR eventually.

Allot of knowledgeable people there that would appreciate the help.
There is also a C# Implementation of Torque 3D called Omni Engine.

That said - Wish you the best of luck finding an engine to suit your needs.

If you wanna go away then go away. What’s the point of this thread? Slamming the door when leaving?

all feedback good and bad is useful.

Have you tried the advanced vehicle template in 4.6? It seems like its just fine for GTA style car physics, it flips tumbles and everything way better than the regular sedan one, what do you think is missing from it?
If my own car model behaves the same way as the advanced one it seems just fine for me & I’m making a game similar to GTA
I made a thread about being dissappointed with the vehicle physics but then I realized I wasnt using the advanced version

I’m not extremely picky with perfect wheel collision & all that, unless there are problems with crashing and colliding with other vehicles? I haven’t tried that yet

UE4’s vehicle system has it’s problems but you can make your car behave at least as good as The Crew’s(or any other Ubisoft game’s ;P) or Forza’s vehicles if you spend some time on collision bodies.