I'm new to Unreal Engine!

I was getting started with the installation of Unreal Engine 4.27.2, when I noticed the default options. Core Components, Starter Content, Templates and Feature Packs, and Engine Source all selected. However, probably the biggest component, Editor symbols for Debugging, was left unchecked. Is this something that will probably be of great relevance to me, hence worth the download?

Also, as I’m installing on a Mac, the default device options were Android, iPhone, and tvOS. What other options are there besides these and how do I access them? Also, If I choose to develop for one or select platforms, is it possible to go back and build on other platforms with existing programs with relative ease, or would I have to restart the process?

Do NOT upgrade your Mac to Monterey, it’s not supported, so you won’t be able to export any projects and try them out.

Debug Symbols just offer you more complex C++ debugging options, so you probably don’t need them yet. The device options are mostly just for mobile platforms; only enable what you need. You can modify your project’s supported platforms in the Project Settings window.

I bought my Mac new, and it already has Monterrey installed. I’m now unable to select a template when creating a project.

Return it and get yourself a W10 PC for a third of the money.
Why do people buy apple computers anyways?
Overpriced as hell, not compatible with most market software, I don’t really get it.

Unreal Engine 4.27 works fine on my end. It’s UE5 that isn’t ready for MacOS yet.

1 Like

Thanks, I’m getting some weird bug where Templates aren’t showing up.

Weird, seems like it works now. Been trying it on/off all day. Wonder if it had anything to do with having Xcode and Rider for Unreal installed. It was giving me an “install Xcode” warning.

Ahh ok. Yeah I just got it working. Think it was an IDE bug, but I’m not entirely sure. It was saying Install Xcode. I have latest version of it and Rider for Unreal. I’ve had it up on forums, so maybe someone fixed it.

Good to hear it worked!

I will never touch C++, hence I can’t help you with IDE things.

If C++ is your choice, you have chosen very well. There are a lot of things you will be grateful for down the line with C++ abilities.