I'm new and I'm wondering whether I should go with Unity 5 or Unreal Engine 4 for my game

Hey guys,

I just recently downloaded UE4 a couple days ago and I’m going through the tutorials. I am COMPLETELY new to gaming meaning that I have never made a game before. The only knowledge that I possess that is remotely similar to making a game is that I know a little bit about how to program in Java. Anyways, after I’m done learning how to use UE4 through the tutorials, I want to make a game that is somewhat like Cities: Skylines. Is it possible for me - a complete beginner - to make a game like that on UE4 or should I use Unity 5?

Thanks in advance!

It’s going to be a challenge as a beginner either way. Note that with UE4 you have a more complete package, it has all of the most important systems included whereas with Unity you would likely need to buy some stuff from the asset store to get certain features or to make some things easier.

You can do everything with the UE4! :smiley:
But to create an entire game you need a little bit of time to learn everything, because you need to know how to use the engine, a 3d tool, a texture tool, a sound tool,…

Here are some useful links:
https://docs.unrealengine/latest/INT/
https://wiki.unrealengine/Videos
https://wiki.unrealengine/Main_Page

But due to blueprints + the awesome community I personally would recommend you the UE4 :wink:

Personally I haven’t used Unity, nor do I care to (The interface does not look like something I would want to look at every day). It looks like Cities: Skylines is a moderately larger game, which is where UE4 comes in handy as it can handle large amounts of objects in a world. UE4 is perfect for beginners, after 6 months of using UE4 I am absolutely confident in my ability to make any game (besides where performance may be awful), and I think you could get started on a small game after just 2-3 days of familiarizing yourself with the engine and blueprints.

I am an exact beginner like you and I was in unity 5, it was easier for me to code in C# but C++ which unreal engine has… But unreal engine has blueprints and it brings the measures to a a balance.

In Unity 5 most things are basic, and a good example is the statistics which you cannot view if you don’t buy unity’s full license which costs 1500$ in total…
In Unreal Engine everything is pro and you don’t have to buy anything, also most things here are free including assets and community helps a lot!

Unreal Engine looks to me more organized and better performant than unity…
Really only you can tell what suits you best and no one else and don’t expect getting neat recommendations here for Unity and on Unity’s forums vise versa…
Try both as they are free and decide. That’s what I did and I stick to Unreal Engine. I really love it!

Great to hear that you will be sticking with Unreal4!

I came here for the blueprints originally, and for the fact that I am quite used to Unreal engine editors. (T3ED, UDK, Some other ones I can’t remember.)
But I started looking into UE4’s license vs Unity’s. my mind was made. UE4!

P.S. I have seen people here tell people about Unity… But again… This is the UE4 forum.

Well with Unity I find the licensing a bit of a put off even though you can get Unity Free, which is nothing more than repackaging of what was once called the demo, the up front costs gets a bit foggy if you have serious intent.

It’s $1500 per seat by the way and not per project so if you have a dozen members on your team you can see how fast that adds up even before diving into your pockets based on what platform or market your game is targeted at.

With UE4 you can grow a project using the same tools Epic uses with out the up front costs with as many developers you wish and two years from now sell your game, and on any platform, and pay Epic their 5%

For a beginner who knows neither C# or C++, you can’t beat blueprint.

Absolutely true.

For someone who doesn’t mind code, C# was awesome. Just add a script component, write into it, save it, run your game. C++ has you compile the engine each time, and because you have the entire engine code in your ide, the intellisense was slow!

However, it seemed like everything in unity needed to be made from the ground up. UE4 has a beautiful framework that lets you get started right away. You have your game mode, player state, game state, controller, pawn, and more all ready for you. It is like ue4 wants you to make a game with it.

Not to mention because ue4 started off as a subscription based software, those who were using it were a bit serious about using it, so you will find much better tutorials.

Also, Epic is a very open company it feels like. They engage the community more and share what they are working on in the engine.

That’s true. When I was in unity, I had to setup through code my mouse camera, the input from player and all of this through code in C#… Well comparing it to ue4, it lacks a lot…
It’s also true that unreal engine gives you the feeling to start creating right away, while in unity you scratch your head for days about how will you go about this and that…