Ignore parent rotation only on a certain axis?

I have a child object which is constantly rotating in the Z axis. I don’t want that object to be affected by the Z-axis rotation of the parent BUT I do want it to be affected by the X and Y axis of the parent.
Changing the rotation to absolute ignores all the axes. Is there a way to ignore only a certain axis?

EDIT: I end up using the workaroung proposed by EvilCleric:
“One trick is to parent the child to a springarm with lenght 0, and uncheck inherit yaw.”

What about:

EDIT: May not work so well if the whole actor is moving. It might be easier to sort out the component hierarch first and then copy the X and Y.

Supposed to say hierarchy… :slight_smile:

I don’t know how you stuff is rotating. Is it the whole actor or parts of a BP or…

Quite often it’s possible to rotate some components and not others, for example.

My parent is a player character which rotate based on the player input, and my child is a simple mesh rotating all the time (like a spinning top). The problem is, when the character rotate in the opposite direction of the child, both rotations are executed at the same time and the child stop rotating for a second.

Thanks for the suggestion. My child object is constantly rotating in the Z axis so it doesn’t work. What do you mean with " sort out the component hierarch"?

One trick is to parent the child to a springarm with lenght 0, and uncheck “inherit yaw”.

3 Likes

That actually works, thanks!