If it is really difficult to learn C++?

I want to be a senior computer expert, but i don’t exactly know about C++.

Second rule of the senior computer expert club. Not ask how difficult its do that, just learn how do that. :stuck_out_tongue:

Going by your naive question I guess you are young, which means you’ll have plenty of time to pick up a programming language such as C++. Just have a go at it and see if it’s interesting to you.

I would suggest starting with C# as I believe it will be easier to start with.
Then at a later stage you can then start with C++

You could start with C++ if you follow a good tutorial or book, I believe the herb stutter ones are good for learning.

HTH

If you area really very new to programming and don’t understand what is a variable or flow of logic (thats how we all started :P) I recommend have a look at old 80s BASIC , the one that used things like LET A = something , LET B=Something else LET C= A+B , PRINT C.

That’ll help you grab the basics of programming without pondering very much about the syntax

I second that.
I’ve started with C# and Visual Basic back then.

C++ is my favorite programming language and I’ve been really focusing on it for years.

Keep in mind that “pure” C++ is different from the C++ inside the Unreal Engine, but this rule applies just some things.

You said you already programmed in other languages, well you can start learning C++ then :wink:

(the problem is **how **did you program in those languages though)

I learned C++ incredibly quickly. You don’t need to know the entire dictionary to speak a language. So you don’t need to
worry too much about being fluent. :smiley:

I learned basic C++ in about 2 weeks, and found what I learn would teach me about what I didn’t know. Pretty soon I
ended up knowing a wide range of stuff.

Advice, keep a small text file with functions. You can use it again and again in the future. :smiley:

Yes it is. It is one of the tougher languages to learn. Simply because there’s a lot of stuff to learn in it, so it’ll take a while, couple of years maybe.

However, you don’t need to know much about C++ to work with unreal engine.

Speaking of other languages, I would advise to stay the heck away from C#, and if you want easy lanuage to get started, learn Python instead.

You could start with C++… only follow the books or references and by continuos, programming languages and programming thinking is a monster in itself even without counting the engine (there is a profession dedicated to help people learn to programm). But just move fordward…

Learn

• the OOP,
  • learn the procedural programming inside C++
  • boolean algebra
  • and that functions are a little like their math counterpart (they return the same value for the same input almost all the times and so on, properties they share with math functions)

but in C++ you will find also (not being extensive)

• memory handling with new delete (just know that you need to do it).
  • calling methods and how they pass variables (by value, reference or pointer)
  • how to access a variable members if it is a reference, value or pointer.

well, it is large, but who is born with this knowledge??? all people some time where noobs in what they have good knowledge.

and you will be donde mostly the basics.

Well, that’s good for learning C++ but not for learning the Unreal Engine.

I used dynamic allocation with **new **in the Engine (as I use to do in C++) and that led me to crash issues

haha, guess to use then the create subobject and variants? and use TArray and so on? (UE noob here too)

Maybe I’m a UE noob, but you’re worse since you aren’t even able to understand what I write.

I don’t say I USE new inside the Engine, I just pointed out that when I used to, that led me to crash issues. So it was a tip for the author of the post.

Before offeding, please take a look at yourself.

lol… no offense taked dude

He was calling **himself **a noob, not you

Just clarifying:)

no chill here… be easy guys :smiley:

First, work through Accelerated C++: Practical Programming by Example by Koenig.

Then Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++ by Stroustrup.

Keep a copy of *The C++ Programming Language *by Stroustrup nearby for reference.

Good luck.

Guys, keep it civil. @tyoc213, @gedamial Looks like you guys misunderstood each other.
Lets keep it productive. Have fun :slight_smile:

The only way to learn a programming language (no matter what it is) is with lots and lots of practice (i.e. doing a lot of exercises). :slight_smile: