If i sample a texture twice with different uvs. Will unreal treat it as 1 sample for performance?

If i sample a texture twice with different uvs. Will unreal treat it as 1 sample for performance?

The Stats tab seems to think so but i dont know if i trust it… chat gpt gives you a choice of 2 opposite answers. lol…

And if it does treat it as 1 sample… does it incur any kind of memory cost?

Sampling is basically the act of asking what value is stored in a specific position of a texture. If you’re asking for a given pixel to sample values stored in two different positions at the same time, it generally must perform two distinct samples.

The texture only needs to be loaded in memory once, and part of it may be cached. So it is more efficient than sampling two completely different textures, but worse than sampling the single texture once.

according to stats the samples stay the same, but the texture loopups for the pixel shader go up.

do u know the difference between a texture object and a texture sample? How are they different performance and memory wise?

I’m not sure if there is an added performance impact of texture objects, but adding one automatically adds a corresponding texture sample so it should at least be the same at a minimum.