Identical root motion setup works in third person template but not first

My root motion setup/animation works in the third person template, but the exact same setup fails in the first person template. In the first person template the animation plays but the player doesn’t move… I’m using an animation for the unreal mannequin, both the third and first person mannequins have different meshes but they have the same skeleton, so I expected this would work…

I can’t figure out what the difference is. In both cases I am calling a montage containing an animation that has root motion enabled. Yet it does not work in the first person template.

I feel like the easiest way around this at this point would just be to adapt my first person project to third and adopt a “true first person” style camera. But I feel like I have missed something critically important here with root motion that will come back to haunt me later.

What am I doing wrong here?

I’ve solved this, it is caused by some janky stuff by whoever authored the FPS template.

Root motion apparently only works on the inherited mesh component, but since the parent of the inherited mesh component cannot be changed, the author simply left it empty and created a second skeletal mesh and parented it to the FPS camera so that the arms would follow the camera… I have a hard time imagining this is the best way to do this but I guess the author felt it was.

The solution in my case was to simply populate the inherited mesh component with the same animation bp and skeletal mesh as the mesh parented to the camera, then I set the inherited mesh component to be hidden in game.

Not really happy with how I had to accomplish this but it worked.