ICU data directory was not discovered

I’ve been trying to make a test build of my game (thats due in for college in less than a month). I wanted to send it to my friends so they could test the mechanics and give feedback while I built the actual level. However, on packaging, I get a fully successful build, but I cannot open the exe because I get given this error:

On a side note, it also tries to package items that don’t exist, as I deleted them. None of them were ever put into levels or used/referenced by other blueprints.
Can anyone help?

It looks like the error message is indicating that the UE5 ICU data directory cannot be found. ICU stands for International Components for Unicode, which is a library used for Unicode support. This error can occur if the library is missing or if the engine is unable to locate it.

To fix this issue, you can try the following steps:

1. Check that the ICU library is installed in your system. You can download it from the official ICU website (ICU Documentation | ICU is a mature, widely used set of C/C++ and Java libraries providing Unicode and Globalization support for software applications. The ICU User Guide provides documentation on how to use ICU.).
  2. If the library is already installed, try to locate the ICU data directory manually. The default location for the ICU data directory is Engine/Source/ThirdParty/ICU/[ICU version]/data. Make sure that the directory exists and contains the required data files.
  3. If the ICU data directory is missing, you can try to copy it from a working UE5 installation. Look for the data directory in the Engine/Source/ThirdParty/ICU/[ICU version] folder of a working UE5 installation and copy it to your project directory.
  4. If none of the above steps work, you can try to regenerate the project files by deleting the Intermediate and Saved folders in your project directory, and then re-generate the project files using the GenerateProjectFiles.bat file.

Regarding the packaging of deleted items, make sure that you have removed all references to the deleted items from your project before packaging. You can search for references using the “Find in Blueprint” tool and remove them manually.

I hope this helps you resolve your issue. Good luck with your project!

1 Like

Hi I’m confused, is it supposed to be installed on the system, in this case MacOS or is it supposed to come with the engine?

See this post.