I wanted to know about .PAK files

Hi everyone i am new to this concept of .PAK file in the unreal engine and wanted to know more like how to generate it and how to use it back by unpacking all this stuff

I tried to search a lot regarding .pak file in unreal and i am not able to find content on this please help me out

1 Like

I don’t know how much you know, so I start with the basics first:

So, .pak is generated by UnrealPak.exe located in …\UE_version\Engine\Binaries\Win64
(The editor will use it to package files for you, you don’t need to manually do that)

They’re basically archive files. So files, containing other files.

Just like the usual archives like .zip and .rar, they can be unpacked, in this case via the command line:

"path to UnrealPak.exe" "path to your pak file" -Extract "path to where the assets should go"   

example:

"C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.25\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UnrealPak.exe" "C:\Game\blahblah.pak" -Extract "C:\Users\User\Desktop\Unpack"   

Though, if they are encrypted, you can’t access them unless you have the key.

Also note that not all things can be recovered from a pak file due to conversion. Blueprints for example.

I probably don’t need to mention it, but just to make sure: you are not allowed to use any of the unpacked assets, unless you hold the copyright to those assets. Should be clear.

Thank you for your explanation

Can I save an fbx in form of PAK file and browse at runtime(play mode) of the engine and use it in between game

and i have another question also

i have a created a new project in which I have given a 3D model, and I have generated .pak file of that project using custom packing in the unreal engine and I want to load this generated .pak file to another new project…how can we import the .pak file to new project??? and is there any chance to reduce the asset size while loading it to new project???