I want to submit an asset FREE, but there is no option

Hi, I want to submit an environment, I want it to be free. But the drop down does not gives me the option. What is the problem?

I’m not sure if it is possible. Here (under Submission Process/Initial Submission Requirements/Price) they say that “Free content submissions are limited to Plugins or at the request of Epic Games”.

Either I was seeing things, or I could have sworn the dropdown included free as a price at one point. I think the reason for it not being in widespread use however is the staff wanting to avoid too many free things when they can be released in the forum Franktech mentioned.

I confirm, that if I select plugins I can submit something free, but none of the other options are valid.
@franktech Actually what I wanted was to update and maintain several assets that are already in the forums but old and broken… and at the same time when they are in the market place they can be added to the vault which is very convenient for adding to a project.
I also wanted to add a version of the WIP Ocean that I have modified and that is drag and drop working like a water plane. This would stop people trying to sell $100 assets in the marketplace that are just slightly modified versions and help people who are not good at debugging stuff to use these assets.

I think that Epic should change how the price are set in the submission process. The .99 at every price is very annoying too.
The Unity Marketplace has a lot of free stuff, it adds a lot of interest to come back and check their shop. At the same time people can buy something.

How I can submit a suggestion to Epic and have a chance that they will read it?

I just toss free stuff up on GitHub; eventually people can find their way to it if they want: GitHub - trentpolack/joymachine-public: All sorts of random publicly-available information, assets, sc

I don’t think they will allow free assets without a good reason, until they have automated all the marketplace processes. Currently, every submission has to be handled by an employee and they get paid for that job. I can see why they wouldn’t want to spend their money and employees on this kind of task just to provide a little convenience to their users.

You have a good point. The problem is that free assets cannot take advantage of the Vault and its convenient way to install something without having to compile it.
I will probably give up uploading free stuff :wink: it sounds complicated.

I don’t think it would hurt them too much to allow it. Unity has tons of free items. I don’t know how much of a review Epic does anyway since I’ve bought several items that didn’t work as advertised.

The vault is better than the Asset Store in my opinion but the problems are that updates are not easy to understand. Also when you have too many items, it is a mess, there should be a way to organise them in folders for example, or sort them by date?

Anyway Epic, if you read that (you do since you need to approve every message I post) please stop the 0.99 frenzy, it is looking like carpet selling technique, and also allow very small amounts or free. Thanks You!

i would be great to have Epic check the submission for the basic standards and requirements, so the community know it follows the standards. but if thats not possible, then just describe what you made, post it on the unreal community content forum and store it somewhere online where the link will work for months, not for hours.