I want to sell in the marketplace but don't want to steal from other people's work.

Posting again since I need an answer.

I tried reading the guidelines but I can’t completely understand them since this isnt my first language. This is what I cannot understand: I get it that I cannot take two different asset packs that I have bought (ex: trees and furniture), and then resell them since that would be illegal and immoral. I understand that I can use the asset packs to make a game and sell the game. What I would want to do is create an original map of my own for example a wild west town, then sell the map. What I want to sell is my creation, but since that creation is made from other peoples work I dont want to “steal” their effort. I dont have the necessary skills to create detailed assets that’s why I am looking for a solution that works. If you know anything more pls explain as simple as possible.

To summarize I want to sell the effort and time I put into making a map, or environment and not the assets that come with it.

I could be wrong ( and haven’t read the agreement recently ), but I think that would not fly.

Because it’s basically an arrangement of someone else’s assets.

1 Like

That’s what I thought, is there an option that doesnt allow users to make changes? What I mean is that when I get a game I cannot change the layout of the objects, shouldnt there be something similar with these kind of stuff?

It would still contain someone else’s work :disguised_face:

2.1.d Content must consist primarily of original work

1 Like

This probably won’t work, I wouldn’t try it.

Consider that the main value of any environment on this market is the assets themselves. However, I do appreciate the items laid out in a thoughtful manner.

If you want to sell maps or develop maps for money, you could learn to create the assets yourself or hire out yourself as a mapper for existing games and communities. I believe Garry’s Mod had this sort of thing at one point, although I don’t know how active that scene is nowadays.

I also recently saw an environmental artist produce a commissioned work for an Elden Ring lore channel. However, she makes her own assets and is established via her own YouTube channel.

1 Like

Hey @NotORiouS0994!

@ClockworkOcean is correct. You can not redistribute assets sold on the marketplace unless the assets are sold specifically by the Epic Games store for free and only if they are used for demo purposes only. This will also apply to public domain work.

Check out 2.2.a, 2.2.b, and 2.2.d of the agreement @ClockworkOcean listed.

2 Likes