I want to make pokemon game

You’ve been warned before about language, please follow the forum rules

ya ok… :d

“Worldwide 58 Million Units sold” who would buy that console even? A lot of people.

pc is better…

There are forums rules against cursing?

That’s pretty cool actually…

I’ve been wondering why I don’t see more people cursing each other out…

~ Jason

P.S. I should probably brush up on the rules again. I’m curious what else I don’t remember.

I can’t wait to be one of those people that can site rules while one here (“Article 5 section X forbids you from demanding anything from god-like uses such as Jason Wanderer”).

Here you go! :stuck_out_tongue:

partly falls under this one too (first sentence)

Code of Conduct

:smiley:

I see this kind of thinking quite often. Such and such company owns an IP I like but I don’t like the games they make with it, so I want to do it for them without their permission.

Problem is, the laws are in place to stop you doing exactly that: stealing someone else’s ideas and design to make your own product. The fact that the victim is a billion dollar company doesn’t make it any more acceptable.

Any Pokemon game you make will never be released publically, only you and maybe a few friends will ever see it. Why not take the ingredients of what makes Pokemon so enduring and make your own IP that satisfies them?

Close! There are actually three kinds of protection for “ideas and design”:

1. If you draw something that’s hard enough to be considered “a work” (i e, not just an idle doodle) then you automatically have copyright ON THAT DRAWING, for free. (Not on the subject of the drawing. If you draw a donkey riding a nuclear bomb, and someone else draws a donkey riding a nuclear bomb without tracing your drawing, that someone else is likely in the clear.) Basic, inherent copyright is free.

2. If you design something (a “form language” or whatnot) that is your or your companies “style,” then you can protect those style elements for specific expressions using a “design patent.” Design patents protect certain design elements that are aesthetic, not functional – or example, if you design cutlery, and all your cutlery has knobby handles with octagonal knobs, the fact that knobs-on-handles-for-cutlery are octagonal MAY be possible to protect using a design patent. Design patents cost a few thousand dollars per country/jurisdiction, and “design patents” may be called something else in places other than the US (“pattern protection,” etc.)

3. If you have an idea, and come up with a specific implementation (way of implementing) that idea, then that implementation (method, system, apparatus) may be possible to file as a patent, assuming it meets a number of criteria and the filing sufficiently explains how to use your particular implementation to achieve the idea, so that when the patent expires, anyone can make it without undue experimentation. Patents in the US cost $25k and up over their lifetime.

You do not have copyright on “an idea.” You also do not automatically have patent protection on an “idea” or even the implementation of an “idea” – you have to apply for and prosecute the patent and pay all the fees to actually get that protection, and that’s only assuming you can convince the examiner that it is non-obvious, useful, actually an apparatus, etc.

So, why don’t people steal other people’s “ideas” all the time?

Because ideas, by themselves, are not worth anything. Nobody pays for an idea. People pay for actual implementations that you can actually play (or use, or experience.) Everybody has ideas. Execution is what matters. Your ability to convince others that your idea is better than their own idea, and convince others to execute the idea well enough to succeed in the marketplace, is much more important than your idea. Thus, you should train yourself to market and explain your idea in a way that makes people believe it’s great, and also believe it’s easy to implement. Trying to keep your idea secret is the best way to make it never reach market!

Go ahead, who’s stopping you from creating your own pokemon game??

If you want to make a game like pokemon, then you should read all about pokemon and Game Studio in a Box
**Stencyl **isn’t your average game creation software; it’s a gorgeous, intuitive toolset that accelerates your workflow and then gets out of the way. We take care of the essentials, so you can focus on what’s important - making your game yours.

Hehe, thanks.

~ Jason

Not true.

Here’s the lowdown:

Pokemon is a brand owned by a company called They Pokemon Company. They license out their brand to other companies and take licensing and royalty fees. Nintendo licenses The Pokemon brand to develop games for Nintendo platforms. A Pokemon game made for the Nintendo DS or some other Nintendo platform is made by Nintendo under license. Additionally, at some point in the past, Nintendo acquired a 25% ownership stake in The Pokemon Company, but they don’t own the entire thing.

Pokemon Go is not made by Nintendo, but rather made by Nihilistic under license from The Pokemon Company. Nintendo has nothing to do with that game other than they make some level of revenue since they own their 25% stake in TPC. It’s kinda confusing. This is why Nintendo’s stock shot up over $1-billion after Pokemon Go came out. Uneducated investors assumed that Nintendo owned Pokemon. Once people found out this wasn’t true, the stock plummeted.

This 100%

You can make a Pokemon game for you and your friends to play as long as it is NOT FOR PROFIT. The moment you collect a single penny for it you would be sued into oblivion. Heck, even if you give the game away for free, if it became popular, it’s probably getting shut down. The Pokemon Company owns one of the biggest brands/IP in gaming. It is illegal to make anything for profit that utilizes someone else’s IP. If you think that you would be too small and no one would care, you would be wrong.

If you want to make a better Pokemon game, you either need to get a job at Nintendo or Niantic or license the Pokemon brand yourself (trust me, you can’t afford it)

Also , check your PMs I sent you a PM the other day.

You can’t make it and distribute it for free either, though if you gave it to nobody you’d be fine.

A) Nintendo own 33% of the Pokemon Company.
B) Pokemon Go was developed by Niantic. I assume this was an autocorrect error.
C) This guy isn’t talking about Pokemon Go, just Pokemon in general
D) Those Pokemon games are made by GameFreak, not Nintendo, who also own 33% of the Pokemon Company.
E) Spinoff Pokemon games (other than Go) are made by Creatures Inc, who own 34% of the Pokemon Company*

Going back to the original statement, Nintendo indeed doesn’t make Pokemon. If you’re going to ‘give the lowdown’ and correct me, you may want to make sure you have your facts straight.

*Edit: There are some exceptions to this rule, but it generally holds true.

heh,

re: gamefreak, isn’t that a bit of a technicality? Nintendo is the publisher of record on pretty much every pokemon game for a nintendo product. (maybe all?) Nintendo also owns a portion (majority?) of gamefreak so…

potato potato

:slight_smile:

If Nintendo own any part of Gamefreak or Creatures, it’s a small share - if it were otherwise it would appear in their IR reports.