I need help understanding nDisplay (single monitor setup)

Hi, I have been seriously confused ever since I started looking into nDisplay. It’s clear to me it’s necessary for multiple display setups but I was told it’s also super handy for a single monitor setup. I’m a total newbie about VP.

I have a 75" tv which I want to use as a movable virtual background while a a real life camera captures both the background and a real product on the foreground. What I used to test this was attach LiveLinkXR component to a cinecamera and use Vive tracker (3.0) on top of a physical camera. Then I opened a second viewport which piloted the cinecamera and put it on the 75" screen. The background moves with the camera but of course the perspective is not right so everything seems off sync.

I understand that with the ndisplay config the physical screen is given a virtual equivalent so that the distance is the same in both spaces, but where it gets super confusing to me is the inner frustum use. I’ve managed to fire the ndisplay up through Switchboard and have the inner frustum move with my tracker camera but that’s where I my understanding ends… the frustum can just move off the bounds of the screen, there’s no illusion of the camera “existing” in the virtual world at all… every tutorial I’ve found about this stuff just leaves it at there.

Thanks in advance :smiley:

NDisplay is meant to get your image on a screen and try to enable you to lock your camera to it. Which is what it sounds like it’s doing. From the physical camera view, it’s supposed to look correct and allow you to move around.

It’s not supposed to fill in the image after you pan off the display. Companies such as Mossys are developing compositing software to make that possible but the point of NDisplay is to photograph something in front of the LED display.