Hello, I’m new to Unreal Engine and I’m trying to create an animation. I create a Control Rig and then a Modular Control Rig, and I add the character’s joints to it by following a tutorial video.
However, I’m having a problem. I can’t move the character’s arms or legs properly. For example, I can move the hand, but I can’t move the elbow or the arm itself.
In the first image, you can see my setup. In the second image, you can see the setup from the tutorial video. In the tutorial, there are controls/gizmos around the joints that allow the arms and legs to be moved, but those controls are completely missing in my setup.
I have followed the same steps as the tutorial, but I still can’t get these controls to appear. What am I doing wrong, and how can I make the arm and leg controls appear like in the tutorial?
Hey @mehmetkozan12121 Welcome to Unreal Engine!
Looking at your screenshot it seems like the IK controls or some extra joints (elbow/knee targets or FK controls) might not be built or connected properly yet in your Modular Control Rig hierarchy
To give you the best possible answer and solution to your issue I have a few short questions:
-
What version of Unreal are you using? (UE 5.3/5.4/5.5…)
-
Are you using a custom skeleton or the standard Manny/Quinn unreal mannequin skeleton?
-
Did you run Prepare Rig or Solve in the modular control rig setup tab after assigning the bone chains?
In the meantime here are some things I thought would be worth double checking
Bone Mapping/Chain Assignment
Make sure the arm/leg modules have the proper upper arm, lower arm and hand joints mapped within the module setups (if one of the joints in the chain is missed, Modular Control Rig will not automatically generate the necessary intermediate controls/gizmos for it)
Control Visibility Settings
Sometimes they can be generated but simply toggled off in their visibility settings you can check this in the Rig Hierarchy panel by seeing if the arm/elbow controls exist in the hierarchy tree and if so, that their shape visibility is not turned off or hidden in the viewport options
Module Settings/IK Setup
Make sure the arm module has Enable IK Controls (and pole targets for the elbows) turned on in their details panels before resolving.
Epic Developer Community: Modular Control Rigs · Setting up Modular Control Rig
Let me know what you find or drop a screenshot of your Modular Rig hierarchy panel, and we can figure this out together. Hope this helps get you on the right track!