I have followed your installation guide on the toolkit for Maya, but it won't show up?

OK. So the screenshot above where it’s in the plugin manager, was that there automatically, or did you browse for it? You shouldn’t need to touch the plugin manager at all, and it should not be showing up in the plugin manager.

Also, which userSetup file are you grabbing? Make sure it’s the one under arttoolosx and not the other one you have circled.

The screenshots above were to show that I have the files needed and what error message I’m getting. Per the instructions, I have placed the userSetup.py file in it’s correct location within the Maya plugins folder.

I’ve even tried this method by using the arttoolosx file from the dropbox link that suppose to have the latest file versions. I’ve even installed all of the latest versions of Unreal to get the files needed as well.

What is the exact path you are placing the userSetup.py? The plugins folder is not correct. It should be placed in the global scripts folder, which on a mac, is under users/shared/autodesk/.

Can you confirm your path that you are placing the script? If it is not placed in the proper location, it will not run. With it being put in the plugins folder, it’s probably trying to load/run it as a plugin, which it is not.

my mistake, it’s actually user/username/library/preferences/autodesk/maya/scripts.

that is where it needs to go on a mac OS. on windows, it’s documents/maya/scripts

and here is a video of me installing it on my mac that I just did:

ART INSTALL MAC

Back in business! There was a hidden Library folder on the Mac that I needed to turn on. Reinstalled the python script in that folder path and everything is good to go! I didn’t know that Mac hides the Library Folder within a user folder name by default. Learned something new today! Thank you so much! You saved me! :slight_smile:

So, is this scripts folder location:

/users/username/library/preferences/autodesk/maya/scripts

recommended for scripts across the board, meaning that I should use this location? Rather than:

/users/shared/autodesk/maya/2016/plug-ins

That I was using initially?

yep! Use that first path:
/users/username/library/preferences/autodesk/maya/scripts

Cheers! Glad we got it sorted!

Hi All I’m trying to install Maya Tools with Maya 2016 I get up to the screen that says “ERROR: Could not find Maya Tools directory, please locate folder using the ‘Browse’ button.” I do this and select the MayaTools button then I get an Error message saying “# Error: IOError: file C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2016/bin/scripts\userSetup.py line 83: 13”

Help please I have a project that I need to complete in a very tight time scale :frowning:

Hi All I’m trying to install Maya Tools with Maya 2016 I get up to the screen that says “ERROR: Could not find Maya Tools directory, please locate folder using the ‘Browse’ button.” I do this and select the MayaTools button then I get an Error message saying “# Error: IOError: file C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2016/bin/scripts\userSetup.py line 83: 13”

Help please I have a project that I need to complete in a very tight time scale :frowning:

I am closing this thread because it has been answered and is becoming overly long and confusing. I have responded to this specific question on the following thread: How exactly can I install the animation and rigging toolset