I have been troubled by this problem for a month now but still no solution

When I open UE5, it force quits and provides the following crash repoter:

Assertion failed: IsValid() [File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\Templates\SharedPointer.h] [Line: 1074]

UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor_Slate
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
kernel32
ntdll

I have uninstalled it, deleted the epic laucher folder under user, deleted everything related to EPIC from the registry and then installed it again.
But it still reports an error.
I donā€™t konw how to do.
The only person online who had the same problem as me was on reddit. I was hoping to get a solution from him, but he was also unable to solve the problem.
What can I do now?

1 Like

Hi EZ1,

Is this happening in a new/blank project? (and/or when clicking the ā€˜Launchā€™ button for UE5)

One small step forward would be to install Editor Symbols to get more info in the crash callstack.

Click the drop-down next to ā€˜Launchā€™ ā†’ Options ā†’ Editor symbols for debugging.

Now when you crash youā€™ll have more info next to " UnrealEditor_Slate"

Welcome to the Forums.

Thanksļ¼ŒI just did what you said and now I get the full content.
UnrealEditor_Slate!FInputBindingManager::CreateInputCommand() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Framework\Commands\InputBindingManager.cpp:493]
UnrealEditor_Slate!FUICommandInfo::MakeCommandInfo() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Framework\Commands\UICommandInfo.cpp:121]
UnrealEditor_Slate!MakeUICommand_InternalUseOnly() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Framework\Commands\Commands.cpp:13]
UnrealEditor_Slate!FGenericCommands::RegisterCommands() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Framework\Commands\GenericCommands.cpp:20]
UnrealEditor_Slate!TCommands::Register() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Public\Framework\Commands\Commands.h:58]
UnrealEditor_Slate!FSlateApplication::FSlateApplication() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Framework\Application\SlateApplication.cpp:807]
UnrealEditor_Slate!FSlateApplication::Create() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Framework\Application\SlateApplication.cpp:695]
UnrealEditor_Slate!FSlateApplication::Create() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Slate\Private\Framework\Application\SlateApplication.cpp:682]
UnrealEditor!FEngineLoop::PreInitPreStartupScreen() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\LaunchEngineLoop.cpp:2741]
UnrealEditor!GuardedMain() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Launch.cpp:137]
UnrealEditor!GuardedMainWrapper() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:147]
UnrealEditor!LaunchWindowsStartup() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:283]
UnrealEditor!WinMain() [D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\Launch\Private\Windows\LaunchWindows.cpp:330]
UnrealEditor!__scrt_common_main_seh() [d:\a01_work\6\s\src\vctools\crt\vcstartup\src\startup\exe_common.inl:288]
kernel32
ntdll
What should I do now?

Youā€™re welcome,

Itā€™s important to know if this happening in a new/blank project. This is PC right? Since ā€˜InputBindingManager.cppā€™ is mentioned: Do you have a ā€œnonstandardā€ keyboard?

Clicking the drop-down next to ā€˜Launchā€™ and selecting ā€œVerifyā€ could be a good idea.

ā€œSlateā€ is the Editorā€™s UI system.

Thanks, my error occurred during the Unreal 5 startup phase and no project has been created yet. I just tried to download the beginner project. But the same error happened. Iā€™ve verified it once yesterday and that didnā€™t work. Incidentally what do you mean when you mention ā€œnonstandardā€ keyboard? Iā€™m using a laptop, which I donā€™t think should have anything to do with it, since I used to use Unreal 5 on that.

Thanks for the extra info. By non-standard keyboard I mean something with special characters for non-english languages. (But the question was a bit of a long-shot to be honest)

What are the Specs for the laptop? (CPU / GPU / Windows Version?) Updating to the latest graphics drivers is always a good step.

Maybe there are some things that Slate needs to run that still need to be installed. This usually happens automatically, but you can install these manually from yourinstalldrive:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_5.0\Engine\Extras\Redist\en-us

Also up to you if you want to try this, but Iā€™d be curious if Unreal Engine 4 works. (Iā€™d say try 4.26 if youā€™re going to, as 4.27 is sort of intermediate)

I checked the installation directory and there is no mention of the first problem. My graphics driver is already the latest version. When I tried to install the file you mentioned, it prompted me that I had already installed it. Now I just finished trying UE4 and it gets the same error message. I went and asked others and they said it was a problem with my shader and told me to reinstall my system. I donā€™t want to do that because there are too many files to sort out. Now Iā€™m trying to figure out what I should do.

Thanks for trying that. Iā€™m not sure what you should do now. But If you tell me the specs of the laptop I can take note of any unique hardware, and if I see that type of hardware mentioned again - might be able to have a better idea of the problem.

You will be able to find your CPU by going to Settings ā†’ System ā†’ About (CPU and Processor are the same thing)

Also if you open up Windows Device Manager and expand ā€˜Display Adaptersā€™ your GPU (or integrated graphics chip) should be listed.

+Youā€™re using Windows 10 or 11?

I am using windows 11, here is the information I copied
Device Name LAPTOP-2GILA5LB
Processor Intel(R) Coreā„¢ i7-10510U CPU @ 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz
Band RAM 16.0 GB (15.8 GB available)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch Provides touch support for 10 touch points

You fixed my Unreal. I was getting that error in 5.3 for 2 weeks now and I couldnt replicated it because my keyboard langage setup was changing from time to time.

If I set my keyboard in French Canada, it will ALWAYS crash at 75% of loading Unreal Engine Editor.

THank you so much.