I have a question about materials and props in Unreal Engine 4

So in this video ?v=XDsJOFyxMnw I saw some assets that the guy using the program has, (and im pretty new with unreal engine so i gotta ask) but how does he have those type of assets like the SM_stairs or the SM_statue, because i know you got to download them or make them but i dont know where to download or how to make them and i want some pretty cool stuff like he has, so if you guys can help me out here because i am a total newbie with this and im sorry but yeah, thanks for the help!

Hi Jacksu

You will be able to download from the marketplace on your launcher the demo projects released by epic.

Once you have them you can either open them and export everything you need to your project content folder or you can manually navigate to the content folder of what you downloaded and copy the whole thing.

I recommend having a look at content examples. You will find a lot of good stuff there.

Hope this helps.

Just open one of the projects from the marketplace - right click onto an asset that you would like to have in our own project - migrate - choose the folder of the new project - save it into the content folder

When you would like to create such stuff, you will have to learn a 3d program like blender, 3ds , maya,…

For the materials:
https://docs.unrealengine/latest/INT/Engine/Rendering/Materials/ExpressionReference/index.html
https://docs.unrealengine/latest/INT/Engine/Rendering/Materials/MaterialInputs/index.html
https://docs.unrealengine/latest/INT/Resources/ContentExamples/Materials/index.html

Hi Jacksu,

As Robbie and have pointed out you can download these projects from the Marketplace. With the current amount of projects that are freely available on the Marketplace should give you a good head start with some content! :slight_smile:

The particular video you used is from the Content Examples, which is host to a lot of good examples.

Use Fighters suggestion and migrate the assets from different projects you’d like! If you have any questions feel free to ask.

[QUOTE=;111772]
Hi Jacksu,

As Robbie and have pointed out you can download these projects from the Marketplace. With the current amount of projects that are freely available on the Marketplace should give you a good head start with some content! :slight_smile:

The particular video you used is from the Content Examples, which is host to a lot of good examples.

Yeah i did download some of the marketplace assets, but when i put them in my project for some reason, when i drag them in my project they are like gray with squares (default texture) and i look for the material texture and its not working when i drag it in the object, ill be specific : SM_Citywall for example.
Use Fighters suggestion and migrate the assets from different projects you’d like! If you have any questions feel free to ask.

When you migrate something you have to keep in mind that you should keep the folder structure!! Otherwise the ue4 wont find the e.g textures from a material,…

Im sorry, (As i said, im a real newbie) how do i “keep” the folder structure?

e.g The folder structure in the other project looks like that:

Textures
Meshes
Material

Now when you migrate the meshes folder, it will also migrate all others, because they are “connected” (you need the textures for the materials and the materials for the meshes). Now after you have migrated it, the folder structure should look the same in the new project:

Textures
Meshes
Material

Make sure you’re using the migrate function rather than migrating manually. When I started out I misinterpreted people telling me to ‘migrate’ as just copying files from folder to folder.

https://wiki.unrealengine/Migrate_content_between_projects

:slight_smile:

Ok thank you so much, its working, but now i have a little problem, when i start a game to try the character movement and everything in the landscape, my character is walking EXTREMELY slow, why is that?

Check the walking speed variable in the character bp -> under the default properties you should find a walking speed

Oh yeah and another thing, how do i paint for example, in the marketplace theres a project that is is called elemental and it is a cutscene with a lot of assets and everything and when i see the landscape, theres a volcano that is black, and there are white mountains, how do i paint the landscape with different colors?

For that you need a landscape material: But I think they used meshes for the mountains and volcanos in the elemental demo :wink: