I don't understand Switch Has Authority

I’m new to replication. I watch some replication tutorials, and some people use Switch Has Authority and other’s just use events. I’m confused. What’s the point of it? I used to think the authority was the server and remote was the clients. Yet now I’m hearing the clients can have authority too. If this is the case it seems pointless.

So my main concern is when should I use Switch has Authority and when should I not use it when dealing with replication? Thanks!

So, if I’m understanding you correctly. Switch Has Authority isn’t very useful for a listen server set up, which is what I’m using. The server will ultimately have control and that’s why it doesn’t matter if I route clients through the authority branch. The system will still treat them as clients and override them using the server’s standards. For a beginner, Switch appears misleading. Unless I’m dealing with determining ownership, or more advanced stuff, I should just stick with events.

You mentioned Is Locally Controlled, this is another term I see tossed around. Some times in tutorials I’ll see conditionals of them on Begin Play. In my situation of using a Listen Server set up, when should I use or avoid these? Up till now, I would just add them or take them out on whim hoping I’d get a lucky configuration which would work. Yet if they are not necessary for my purposes, I don’t want to waste my time with them.

I agree. I’m starting to get frustrated on the replication tutorials. After a while, they all start saying the same thing. Many are a bunch of intro tutorials which go over the same general knowledge. Instead of hearing for the 1,000th time that the server is in control, it would be nice knowing which replication methods are effective in different situations. For example, understanding why they use a multicast event and server event vs just using a server event. Maybe its just me, but I’d rather not have the general knowledge. I just want the method. I’ve found its easier to learn the general concepts after I’ve experimented with lots of different methods.

I rarely consult Unreal documentation. Its too terse and technical. If I had access to a ton of replication code examples, that would be very beneficial. That’s basically what I do now for replication vids. I just skip to their code and see if there is anything new I could apply to my own situation. Do you have any recommendations of any good sources for info on Unreal replication?

I appreciate your patience. I’ve always struggled with puzzles. They give me headaches lol. Replication is a lot like puzzles. Its not easy. I’m just gonna keep banging away at it until I get it.

When I get a chance, I’ll respond to your other comment on my other post. I definitely appreciate the guidance!