I can browse a list of LAN games but not Internet games even though direct ip works

So I tested my game on my pc and laptop on the LAN. I can browse the list of servers and join that way.

But when I switch the host and browse to not LAN and try it with my friend, he could not see my hosted game in the list by browsing.

But he could join my game with direct ip.

What is going wrong ? Why can you not see internet games when LAN is not ticked ?

Theres no built in support for WAN games.

Your options are:

1. You need to integrate STEAM
  2. Create a function whereby when a game is created, a or similar payload post is sent to a java(or similar) server that reads the post and updates your own “server list” with all the game details, map, players etc somewhere on the web. Goolgle 'free java webservers" though you could host it at your home PC if its small scale. Then the users looking to join have a similar function but instead they GET the info from your homemade server and that information is what’s fed into your server list to show avail WAN games. The whole thing happens on the java server, not on the game. The game just shows the information the server gives it. In the end, the join is always via the IP of the host.

Do you mean I should do both ?

1. I have already integrated steam, I followed unreal’s tut to do that, sometimes the overlay boots up with my game but sometimes it does not lol.

2. Is there a video tutorial to do this ?

No, you need only do one.

Second option: requires you to know how to program a server to keep track of your games outside of Ue4. so in java or something. OR if you have a friend thats a programmer he/she can probably write a server to do this up for you in a day. There aren’t any tutorials for this

otherwise go with the steam option. there are tutorials for that, google: ue4 steam

If you want the shortcut, the Generic Shooter game in the marketplace claims to have the steam setup already working. I haven’t tried the game but the reviews are good. So might be quick to get it up and running there for $20.

so just including the steamworks sdk should allow me to browse a game ?

i dont know if its THAT simple. But i dont think its too difficult. I’ve never used steam for this. I have my own java server for matchmaking. I’ve seen lots of guides though for steam setup. Google it.

And as mentioned, there are some marketplace items that include it at a decent price if you want to see how it works without figuring it out for yourself.

yeah i already did the steam thing, it doesnt make browse work.

could you show me your master server set up :stuck_out_tongue: ?

Discovery does not work in on internet (but can work on WAN, just not globally), because multicast (Sending data packets to all network percipients lisining to designated multicast IPs) which is essential for any network discovery systems, does not work on internet scope, only in subnet (this includes private subnet IPs of LAN). Instead you need is service where servers will advertise themselves in, that service will list them and user can able to access it to get that list and connect using ip on the list, this kind of service is called “Master Server” (one to rule them all :p). As thankstipscom said Steam provide this service but you don’t need to use it you can build your own. It requires some work, if you have expirance with web services it should not be a problem :slight_smile: still you will need to host Master Server. I jusy google a little and find out there actully someone that work on Master Server plugin for UE4, you might be interested in it, you can always extend it on top of it

Hello,
You can use this solution to to run a master server on Windows / Linux and get a list of game servers using the UE4 plug-in.