I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask this

I was wondering if anyone could give me any insight as to how to code a “Create-A-Character” system using blueprint. I’m working on a project right now and I have NO IDEA where I would even begin find out how to do that. This will be my first project. Without being too optimistic I just would like to add that feature in my game. I’m Learning UE4, have been for almost a year now and I am just now trying my hand at Developing and designing a title.

I think I can give you a few pointers at least. I have never worked with clothing. but for accessories like hats, you want to look into skeleton sockets, sockets allow you to define a point attached to a skeleton’s bone and from there you can attach meshes, particles, etc to it. So in my case, I created a socket on the character’s head, moved the socket to slightly above the head so it was just on top. And then at runtime, i can attach meshes to it and it will follow the parent bone. If you attach a hat mesh to the socket, the mesh will move with the head and like that, you have basic accessories like hats, shoes, clocks and glasses covered.

Another thing that might be of interest is material instances. With material instances, you can manipulate shaders in realtime. This can be used to adjust colors on a mesh at runtime. In my case, I have a skeletal mesh with a material instance featuring masks which enable me to set the color of individual body parts like eyes, head, torso, hair, etc. So I have a UI which allow you to select colors, those colors are then casted to the customizer actor, which then applies those colors to elements in the dynamic material instance allowing the user to dynamically customize their character’s colors. These colors are then saved to disk and reapplied whenever the character spawns. You could also use this to color accessories as well of course

Thx Jonencloud. This actually helps with a large portion of the CaC system I wanted to implement. The next thing I need to figure out is how in the world to add the feature to manipulate characteristics, such as musculature, facial features, etc. I would think I’d have to create some instance that allows players to manipulate the faces of the 3d model within predetermined parameters, I just have no Idea how to do that.