I am extremely overwhelmed!

Did anyone else have this problem when first jumping into the engine? Or did you just decide you wanted to make a game and it eventually happened, I’ve spent about 4 days so far trying to dig deep into the engine, learning things as I go, but every corner I take, there seems to be a million other objectives that pop up, how did you get over this, if you’ve experienced the problem.

Hey! I’m really new as well, only been working with the engine for a couple weeks, and I had the same issue as you when I first started. It seems like everything you want to learn to do relies on something else you have to learn and it just goes in a big loop. The best thing to do is take it in bite size pieces, in my own opinion. Start with simple things, don’t try do delve immediately into creating a publishable game. Learn bits and pieces, and then when you’re comfortable, combine them to create what you want or use them as references to create your own unique things.

Just don’t get frustrated and give up. You’ll improve, things will begin to make sense, and pretty soon you’ll be a pro!

When I was first introduced to udk back in 2012, I was a bit overwhelmed. I think a good thing to do is decide what most interests you such as level design, animation, programming etc. then go through some tutorials. There are some really great tutorials. If you need help there is a huge community to give you support.

Noted. I seem to have been getting ahead of myself, wanting to do too much too fast, this is great advice though thank you!

Yes. Totally. I got frustrated and gave up for a couple months. But now I realize how big even a small project can be, so I am just taking it one step at a time. I don’t think any one person can ‘know it all’ and be capable of pulling it all off on their own, in general.

I came back because I knew the direction I wanted to take with a game, and am documenting it as I go as a tutorial, to hopefully help others step through everything from scratch… if it helps a few, it’s worth the extra time documenting the process. https://forums.unrealengine/showthread.php?84983-Yet-another-FPS-blueprint-tutorial

As a start I really recommend youtube tutorials of the official UnrealEngine-Account. There is an overview: https://www.youtube/user/UnrealDevelopmentKit/playlists

Hello, I feel I can also share my short experience with UE4. This is not the first engine I hack with, but I admit that this is the most mature, feature-rich and powerful I put my hands on. I tried Unity, which is impressive also, but I was not as much intimidated as in front of UE4. It’s not only a question of features and power, it’s also a question of how the tool is organized and “demanding”.
I am not sure I will really say something more than previous posters, but here is my conclusion so far. Sorry if I state some obvious things, I don’t make any assumption on your skills.

You may have a dream project, that’s fine. Take a sheet of paper, and write it down, but put it aside, don’t create “a project” in UE4 to do this right now. UE4 is a really powerful piece of technology, scalable and very well featured. But, if you take a seat in a Formula one for the first time, do you really think you’ll win a race (or even finish one)? you got to learn how to drive like that. So, you need a training session: with your dream project in mind, try to extract a very simple, unambitious project, with some of the features you want in your dream project, maybe the core features, just a handful. To give you courage on the long run, you will need some pleasure. So try to imagine something that could be fun to play. Try to write some concept document, and even some basic GDD (Game Design Document), targeting a “pre-production” prototype of this small project. This phase is essential : knowing precisely what you want, will help you target assets and skills required to achieve your goal. Remember the formula one metaphor : the pilot need a team to win, so you will need a team, ether a real one, or an abstract one (assets stores, occasional contract with freelancers, etc…).
Then, identify your skills, but don’t lie to yourself… Marketplace is likely to provide you with assets to be used as very cool “placeholders” (even near-production-grade), in almost any area of development, that will save you energy and time. This saved time can be invested in learning and developing your skills in the framework of UE4, while relying on some talented people in other area. The unreal community as also many good tutorial and ready-to-use BP or code to speed-up design.

Meanwhile, just watch the unrealengine official tutorial channel, as mentioned by . Anytime you can, while on phone, while ironing, or in transit. This will immerse you in the engine (you will end up dreaming of it, believe me), and will dismiss the “overwelmness” of the task.

If you already know another engine (Unity, of whatever), or a few thing about game theory (math, animation, or whatever) this will be of a great help, will reduce the steepness of the learning curve.

Regards,
Freeman

For me the first two weeks with the UE3 (udk) were pretty tough as I had no experience with game development (I had no clue about meshes, particles,…), but due to the help of the UDK community I learned a lot of new things in a very short time and luckily I never gave up, because it was my dream to develop my own game

So whenever you have any question, post them here into the forum -> we are always here to help! :slight_smile:

It feels crazy at first, but Praise God I had the opportunity for about 2 years to casually(?) learn Unity 3D 4 and 5… I thought I was going to be doing more stuff in Unity but in the past few months I started diving into UE4 and… kinda addicted to UE4 now.

Good points. I am making a comic book series first using Unity, UE4 and Daz3D (see link in signature)… I haven’t even ~touched~ Blueprint yet :slight_smile: