I am complete beginner in UE Can I start learning directly with UE 5 or it is necessary to start with UE 4?

Pls need Advice where Where and how I can start. I am complete beginner in UE Can I start learning directly with UE 5 or it is necessary to start with UE 4?

Hi.
I’m new to UE too. I’ve been practicing with it for 3 months now. I’m using UE5 since day 1 don’t ask me why because I’m not using nanite nor lumen. I guess I like to be on the top of the wave.
Most of videos and tutorials use UE4 but the interface is quite similar so that is not a problem.
You will probably have to install UE4 even if you’re using UE5 because most samples will be for V4.
Personally I prefer the interface in V5.

As how you can start learning, go to the learning portal and run thru a few courses, starting with the most basics.

My advice is not to go directly to c++. Use blueprint first as it is very fast to get things done and it will help you learn the API. Blueprint start to become a bit confusing and hard to read when you start doing more complex things.
For this reason I started moving to c++ recently.

Then you have hundreds of tutorials and videos on youtube ranging from all kinds of subjects. I’ve watched countless hours of videos.

Just remember, think small at the begining and don’t think about making a gigantic open world game right off the gate.

2 Likes

Thank you very much.

The main difference between the two is that UE5 reduces the need for third-party programs, such as modeling characters or sound design.

But overall, UE5 is essentially a version of Unreal Engine that’s been optimized to make AAA games (hopefully.)

It really makes not much difference. Both are very similar and you can still edit the interface a little and edit your viewports to suit your needs.

Also hope you are checking the Unreal Academy to check on all the topics you need to know to get yourself started with the software. Unreal Online Learning - Unreal Engine