Huge UI with custom dpi factor enabled

Since the last Epic Launcher update the interface is HUGE, it has become nearly unusable, with the huge scrolling area, large icons and buttons, fonts, everything. I can hardly find any project without scrolling.
This happens when “custom dpi scale factor” is enabled in Windows. I tried every compatibility setting, disabling “high-dpi” overrides in properties, nothing works. I tried downgrading the launcher version but with the new forced updates that only works until I give the launcher internet access permission.

Here’s the problem, when a custom dpi-scaling factor is enabled in windows, the windows will tell all apps the scaling is 175%. It would work fine if I didn’t use a custom dpi scaling factor, problem is my monitor is very small and it’s 1080p so I need a custom factor of about 120%. I cannot use the regular dpi-scaling in windows (the non-“custom” version) because it breaks all other apps, so now I am in a situation that either I have all apps too small, or I have Epic Launcher huge.

I have this problem with 4.18 preview as well, I won’t be updating any of my projects to 4.18 onwards because I just can’t work like this.

So please, provide an option to disable the automatic dpi scaling on the Epic Launcher, I understand this is a Microsoft bug and not an Epic Games bug…but due to the way you made the scaling work in Epic Launcher I’ll have this problem with all Epic’s products only.

Allow me to illustrate:

As you can see I have a custom scaling factor enabled (of 120%) but the gui will show 175% because it’s “custom”. Epic Launcher is reading the 175% from that setting and scaling way too much. Again it’s a Microsoft bug but please allow us to disable the scaling behavior. I had absolutly no problems in previous Launcher’s versions, I do not have this problem with any other app.

Update On this: Sooo, I downgraded to the last working version of the epic launcher and I’ve forcibly crippled the launcher hability to self-update. I am not going to say How so Epic doesn’t “fix it” and forces another update on me.
The day the launcher forces me to update because it’s “too old” I’ll revert again and firewall it. Not an optimal solution, hardly a solution at all but that’s the route I am going for, I don’t appreciate forced updates on any product and this is no expection, specially when such updates break the program.
I would still appreciate this issue being fixed or at the very least hearing for Epic about it.

same problem with Launcher and editor 4.18, please fix it

i found solution.
go to Windows tab in editor > Developer Tools > Widget Reflector > and change application scale to comfortable size.

Hi thank you for this, do you know if this solves the issue in the Epic Launcher as well? or only in the editor?
Edit: It doesn’t seem to affect the Launcher at all and even if it did my pre 4.18 builds would have to look too small for my launcher to look “Ok”. If you come across something please let me know :slight_smile:

Exactly the same problem, with launcher, 4.18 and 4.19.
Got a duplicate post here.
Whole problem is irritating as hell. No clue how launcher update passed through QA before being applied.

Thanks you !

Didn’t expect this thread to still be active. The issue has been fixed by Epic years ago, both in the launcher and somewhat in the engine, the trick is to disable “High DPI Awareness” in the editor settings, the binary version of the engine seems to have this off by default, and on the source build I just force that function to return false so I don’t have to bother changing it for every project.

If the “Widget Reflector” trick works for you in older engine versions great, but to me it just causes the entire interface to look blurry and it doesn’t scale every element, some still remain unscaled and looks very unnatural.