Huge spikes in acceleration data with vehicles

Hello,

I currently trying to gather the velocity, acceleration of a vehicle at a very high frequency (200-400 Hz). My idea was to use the Async physics feature to reach this frequency more easily.

I enabled the async physics in my Editor, Actor and I set the async step to the frequency I’m trying to reach (0.005 for 400Hz for instance but my issue also happens at lower frequency, 60 Hz for example.

in the AsyncPhysicsTickActor, I get the position, velocity of the Actor and compute the acceleration from it.

For example, I retrieve the position using the following code :

Chaos::FRigidBodyHandle_Internal* Handle = PrimComp->GetBodyInstance()->ActorHandle->GetPhysicsThreadAPI();
FVector pos = Handle->X();

From that position, I can deduce the velocity, and then the acceleration, no problem at all here.

When I plot the acceleration in a graph (in green here), you can see huge spikes happening at a constant rate. You can also see the velocity value (in blue) slightly decreasing and then, going up again very fast, causing this spike in acceleration.

This is reproducible using the SportCar vehicle from the official vehicle package.
This test has also been done at 60Hz. This also seems to happen once the max velocity of the vehicle is reached.

The accel also increases very fast but I suppose I can change that by modifying the vehicle component parameters.

I’m out of idea to fix this issue and looking for any suggestion that may help me getting accurate acceleration data at a high frame rate.

Thanks!