Huge lag spikes when connecting nodes in BP editor. How can I fix this?

As the title says, every time I connect two nodes, the editor freezes for about 2 seconds. This is extremely annoying since it slows down the entirety of my productivity.
Not only this happens when connecting two nodes, but also when I drag out from a node and then right-click (opens the node list and then close it) and when I click on a node input/output without dragging.

This didn’t happen a month ago; I took a break from Unreal and when I came back yesterday, this was happening.

This happens in small and large blueprints and in both large and small maps loaded.

I am using Unreal 5.1.1.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to fix this?

The only two things I’ve ever seen slowing blueprints down are

1. Complex construction script, while there are many instances of the blueprint in an open level.

2. Capping the editor frame rate with t.maxfps will also cause the blueprint editor to run slowly.

Having said that, if you think something like this

is a normal blueprint, then there could well be a third… :slight_smile:

1 Like

As I said, I am in an empty level, and a new blueprint, meaning that it is empty.

I also tried using t.maxFPS but still nothing happens. It also turns out that the lag spikes also occur when using the console. When I type t.maxFPS it is fine, but as soon as I add a new character, it freezes.
The freezes however stop for subsequent characters. The freeze here happens when I insert a character that will result in zero auto-fill suggestions.

You can cap the editor frame rate with t.maxfps 20, for example.

To set it back you would use t.maxfps 120.

I’m not sure why you have a lag, then…

1 Like

I will try to reinstall UE… That is my only hope rn.

After the reinstall, is there a way to completely reset all editor preferences, so that I can verify that it is not the reason for the lag?

I think that’s the default?

1 Like

Reinstalled it. Still lags. But it is specific to that one project. I tried it on another and the issue is not present.

However, resetting editor preferences solved it for now.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.