Huge FPS drop when looking at the sky / Nothing

Hello guys,

Today I’m coming to you with the following problem: when I look at the sky I get huge frame drops. Whenever I look up or that there;s any of it visible, I get drops. It doesn’t matter if I have a sky box or not.

By frame drop I mean that from a scene that has 20-40fps on 1440p, to a max of 7 fps just by looking up.

I’m using Win7 HP 64-bit, Unreal Engine 4.9.2 and have an r9 290 crosffire, i7 4770 and 16gb of ram.

If you need further information let me know.

thank you and have a great day :slight_smile:

There’s a bunch of these in answerhub. All have varying issues so this is hard to debug from this. Your PC is pretty good so I’m going to assume it’s ok - unless you have dual r9s. I recall reading that doesn’t perform well in UE4.

Is this happening on a blank project? If a blank project works fine then it’s probably a process of elimination and measurement - Performance and Profiling | Unreal Engine Documentation

Would you recommend on taking an r9 290 out of my system for now? I’ll take a look on that link. It has happened on several projects of mine already, but not all.

Yeah I reckon it’s crossfire. It’s not officially supported in UE4 (as far as I can tell). I’d try removing one as a test.

I have a r9 290 (latest drivers) with an i7 and 16gig of RAM and I’ve never seen this.

Mmm apparently it’s the transition between the landscape and the skybox. Once the skybox is predominant, the frames go up again. Any ideas?

More specifically, the transition between the landscape/level area and the skybox where there is foliage visible in the transition. This foliage is animated through standardized texture animation for vegetation.

Has that ever happened to you?

Nope it hasn’t. But I don’t really know what kind of scene you have. So it could be something you’ve created.

• Have you looked at the shader complexity of the vegetation?
  • Does a blank project work?
  • Did you try without dual GPUs?

The Error was due to overdraw from complex Shader overlapping one another several times. I’ve fixed my materials and moved forward.