HUD:DrawText, Newlines \n no longer cause a return, get box instead, Canvas::DrawText also has issues

Dear Friends at Epic,

#Bug

In Beta4, using draw text on a string like “Joy\nJoy\nJoy\n” would result in

Joy
Joy
Joy

#Video For Reference

You can see in this video how my exact same code behaves now in Beta5 vs in Beta4

~~~

In Beta5, the newlines are replaced with boxes, and everything stays on a single line

I deem this a bug because it requires more work of me to actually parse the string manually now

Very inconvenient in my opinion

Again this is HUD::DrawText()

#Canvas::DrawText

Canvas->DrawText actually does do the returns, but it also draws the newlines as boxes,

this still requires me to parse out the newlines manually which I never had to do before

I can only call this a bug or a very inconvenient change :slight_smile:

I am loving UE4 tho! It’s awesome!

Rama

#Packaged Multiplayer Game Video

This is a video showing that actual real Multiplayer works via IP with the packaged version of my game!

In the video I did end up having to parse out the strings for the chat system, given the situation I am describing in this thread

Rama

We filed a report for this issue, and it has already been resolved internally. Once again, thanks for having brought it to our attention.

Cheers!

woohoo!

Thanks for letting me know Stephen!

:slight_smile:

Rama

#Packaged Multiplayer Game Video

This is a video showing that actual real Multiplayer works via IP with the packaged version of my game!

In the video I did end up having to parse out the strings for the chat system, given the situation I am describing in this thread

Rama

Thanks for the report.

I’m not certain yet why this changed, but I’ve put a bug report in to our system to investigate and determine whether it was intentional or not. I will say that from looking at the code. From a cursory inspection of the code I don’t actually see what was doing the line feed previously.

Great to hear from you as always Marc!

Thanks for all your help!

:slight_smile:

Rama

PS: yea I always thought it was extremely convenient and magical that the \n worked previously :slight_smile: it worked in UE3 too, I had basically copied my code over from my ue3 chat system.

#Corollary in BP Descriptions

I have more info on this issue

Whatever was causing \n to be turned into actual newlines / returns

was also working on the BP node comments

and now that is gone too!

In beta4 I spent a lot of time adding \n\n to my longer BP node comments in my BP function library

but now in beta5 these \n show up directly just like in HUD

so wherever \n used to get turned into an actual newline is probably at some higher level than just the HUD

I second this, and newlines still don’t work in BP comments either!

/** Some comment with a newline \nMore Text */
UFUNCTION()

We filed a report for this issue, and it has already been resolved internally.

Was there a resolution back in March or was it still problematic?

I am using 4.4 and DrawText/Append are still unable to handle newlines.

I have asked about this before but received no response.
Thanks.