HTML5 build creating files with wrong name

Something weird started happening with my project. One of my team mates sent me his latest version of the project we’re working on, and when I build from his project to HTML5, it creates two files with the wrong name.

Normally most of the files in the build folder will be ProjectName.extension. Extension are html, css, data, js.data, .UE4.js, wasm and js.

But the two files that should be ProjectName.wasm and .js are instead UE4Game.wasm and UE4Game.js. So the game doesn’t work because we introduced some code to some of the files, so when we build, we overwrite some of these files, like the html, css and .js ones. And this works fine, but when these two file names are changed, it doesn’t.

I even tried just renaming them manually, but it breaks some things in the game.

The thing is I spent all morning with the two projects and their settings side by side, scrolling down every setting that could be more or less related, like the packaging and HTML5 sections, and they’re identical. So I’m a total loss.

Any suggestions?

OK, I feel like I’m taking crazy pills. Ever since I started learning UE about three months ago, every time I built an HTML5 package, the result has always been several files with the project name, plus the readme, the .exe and .command files to preview the build, and the utility.js file.

But the .wasm and .js files were always the project name before the dot. Same as most of the other files. So in my original post I mentioned what happened today with my coworker’s project. But I did some more problem solving and the first thing I did was to start a new project from the FPS template. I called it “Bananas01”. Then, I packaged to HTML5.

Well, to my surprise, it produced the UE4Game.wasm and UE4Game.js files as well. This had never happened before. So just in case I had gone completely mental, I went to several of the HTML5 folders I had built over the last few months, and it turns out I hadn’t gone mental. Those older builds had a .wasm and a .js with the project name as the file name. They had no UE4Game.wasm and UE4Game.js files.

But it gets even more bizarre. I then turned on the work Windows laptop, which I hadn’t used in several days, and the last time I did an HTML5 build in it, it was without those two UE4Game files. I booted it up, launched UE 4.23, created a project from the FPS template, built to HTML5 and again, I got the UE4Game.wasm and UE4Game.js files.

And after that, it wasn’t a surprise when I did the same in my personal Mac, and it also created the UE4Game.wasm and UE4Game.js files.

So what’s going on here? Did Epic push a small change to all the installs of 4.23 around the world last night? Because up to yesterday, every single HTML5 build I did didn’t have those files named that way, they were always the project name and the two extensions. Now suddenly, for no reason at all, they are called UE4Game.wasm and UE4Game.js.

I just don’t get it.

OH, and there’s one thing I just realized. These two files also have a modified date that is much older than the rest of the build files, but it’s not consistent. In the work Macbook Pro, both are from 5/26. In the work Windows laptop, they are from 4/18. And on my personal Mac, they are from 6/1. I really don’t know what to make of this.