How would you start to build this Blockout to a realistic scene? What programs would you choose?

Hello Community,
I’m currently a total beginner to Unreal Engine 5 Level Design. I was really astonished by the work the people from Quixel did within their Ninety Days Challenge. So now, I’m trying to compete in the Better Light Than Never Challenge.

I wanted to build a pretty unique scene, which leads me to the point where I do not have any modular pieces from Quixel Bridge, so I’m standing in front of a pretty blank paper, with just a simple SuperGrid blockout for my scene, which you can see here:

The scene shows a Hangar. It should be an old one, a broken down and overgrown hangar that was left a long time ago. As the roof breaks, the sun starts shining inside the hangar, creating life over the Death Machines.

Long story short, I don’t know how to proceed now. I was facing problems like material stretching which I could, for the sake of God, not fix within the Quixel Master Materials and so on… So I was thinking about modeling my own meshes, texturing them with Mixer or something, and then using them to build the scene. But, as a beginner, I don’t know where to start.

I would really appreciate any help you could give me on how to start building and creating things after the blockout is now there.

For the stretching materials, you need to know about world aligned materials

Be aware that you can totally repurpose many meshes. You don’t need to have hangar assets to make a hangar. You can use all sorts of other assets, turn them up the wrong way, scale them strangely and change the materials, and build a hangar.

It’s good to learn to model, but you don’t have time before the deadline to learn that ( think more like 2 years ).

Google stuff, and find something that makes you go ‘WOW’. Then make it out of grey blocks, and change them into meshes with material.

Also, maybe

2 Likes

Hey @ClockworkOcean, thank you for the very fast reply. I was not expecting that :D.

First of all, even while using World Aligned Textures, Quixel does not come with Texture Objects and converting regular textures to nodes seems not to be possible. After that, I was trying to use some Object Scale Calculations from the SuperGrid project which were almost like what I needed but still a bit offset. However, when using the modeling tool, I saw that the material fits perfectly, I guess that’s just because of the optimal, unstretched UVs.

To your second topic: Recycling Meshes. I find it pretty interesting to think about when I’m being honest.

Thanks for giving me a direction to go towards, which will now not include modeling the whole hangar within 26 days of learning Blender or something. I will keep this updated when I come across new questions.

I now have some references in PureRef that I really like, and I’m going to keep blockouting (?) the level until I find some meshes that I can use… somehow… in some way. :smiley:

Yes, you have to re-write the material, I think… You can do world aligned with both texture nodes and texture objects.

Think outside the box and re-use :wink:

1 Like