How would we go about creating a dynamic wet to dry material?

I’ve been looking around youtube and this is getting me a bit perplexed. I’ve been trying to find a way to create a material that is able to demonstrate a transition from wet (with puddles) to dry. I can’t seem to find anything on this and i might be searching it wrong. Is it possible to create it from a single material alone? Or would i need multiple materials and another external material to handle the transition based on time? I did see some videos of weathering being done in run time however it seems like an in-game slider was used to modify it and it wasn’t an automatic function. Is there any place or documentation to achieve this effect? Would appreciate any pointers! Been going nuts hunting for it!

Create a material where a single parameter controls the transition from wet to dry.

Control that parameter via a blueprint.

If you want to do something more complicated, like having water sprinklers turning on and only getting certain areas wer, your better off just getting a custom solution for that senario, like using a mask.

Gotcha, so in the end we will need an external blueprint to control the course of it. I’m guessing we won’t be able to build the transition either in the material bp we will just need to create a dry and wet state material function and a mask to transition it properly.

You can definitely create a transition from wet to dry within the material itself.