How would this computer do for UE4 developing?

AMD Ryzen 7 (3rd Gen) 3700X, 8-core @ 3.6 GHz base
16 GB DDR4 RAM @ 3000 MHz and 32 MB cache (upgrades up to 64 GB w/ four RAM slots)
NVidia RTX 2070 Super
1 GB NVMe SSD
7.1 channel surround sound capable
Windows 10

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-supreme-gaming-desktop-amd-ryzen-7-3700x-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-rtx-2070-super-1tb-ssd/6400450.p?skuId=6400450

It would do well. It’s worth investing in more than 16GB, though. A regular (non-super) 2070 + 32GB is a better combo for development - if you must choose between the 2. Don’t forget that you’ll need 2 monitors.

3 wouldn’t hurt. I find myself needing the third monitor when working with the sequencer…

Two monitors, huh? I can’t get two due to budget constraints. Thanks for the input. I was thinking of building a pc via the NewEgg interface for that, but I have yet to select the best and lowest price components within a certain budget…that are all compatible. I also don’t know if there’s a warranty or how the return policy on those components for a build-a-pc works.

What’s better? A 1 TB 7200 RPM HDD and 500 GB NVMe SSD, or a 1 TB NVMe SSD? I don’t understand SSDs too well yet.

There’s the regular SSD which can Read / Write no faster than 500MB/s (much slower in real life scenarios). And there’s NVMe SSD - a much more modern drive that can be up to 10x faster.

If you can get your hands on a 1 TB NVMe SSD drive, do it. This super fast storage will be important when UE5 / next gen games come about. :wink:

It’s hard to actively recommend a traditional mechanical HDD; if you know you will be storing a ton of assets, then yeah, a big sluggish drive acting as a backup is fine. Not going to demonise the HDDs but it’s hard to go back once you’ve been working with solid state drives.

Two monitors, huh?

Aye, we’re not talking about a 4k G-Sync enabled one. If you can get your hands on a used 24inch for $50 as a secondary display, do seriously consider it - it directly translates into productivity; as much as a comfy chair does. :smiley: