How would I make a 2D iphone game like this in unreal?

Hi Everyone, I want to make a game like this link here, but don’t know where to begin. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you in advance!

What kind of experience do you have in game development? :slight_smile:

I don’t have any at all but I am willing to learn. I just need to know were to begin.

The programming actually isn’t that hard – you could do it all in Blueprints.
However, the art requires a fair amount of work, especially the animated bits.
If you don’t have illustration and animation experience, you essentially will fail.

If you have that, but are missing blueprint scripting experience, start with some basic Blueprint tutorials (on youtube, for example) and then look into “UMG” – the Unreal Motion Graphics system, which is the animated UI toolkit for Unreal.

Now, most UMG tutorials are more about “soldier take bullet, screen go red” and less about sequencing a bunch of transitions, but it’s really the same tool set. Timelines, bound properties, and tons of art assets.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the link Jwatte! I have background in creating animation and illustration but everything else is kinda grey. I really appreciate the course link and will looking at this today! :smile:

The resource @jwatte linked is a great start to get things up and running. I also suggest you watch some generic tutorials on Unreal Engine to get a firm grasp of the essential tools you have access too.

If you need more resources, feel free to reply again to this post.

Best of luck! :slight_smile:

1 Like