How would I export a mesh from 3ds max for Cloth Simulation (Tutorial is for Maya) to Unreal 4?

To start, i have been following this tutorial, for a flag with wind, which i Will Need later, but i also need window blinds that sit above a players head, and go down to the flor, to drape over the players as they move past, so Constraints will be a big issue.

I have been following this tutorial: UE4 Tutorial: Cloth Simulation (See description) - YouTube

And frankly, i wish more narrative was put into it, because when the video starts (i added a start to the part i cannot figure out, from Maya, what it means for 3ds Max) it shows dragging and dropping the flag onto the pole. Sure, i am using 2 MAterial IDs for my mesh, however i cannot get the skeleton working. The mesh starts to fall apart from the start, rotating randomly around Zed and falling downward like Gravity is affecting it.

I just need an explanation of what that (sub-object or group, etc.?) dropping the flag onto the pole is, so i can start with the rest of the tutorial again. To be more clear, when the creator says “hold middle click and drag the flag onto the pole,” what does that do in Maya and what is it called in 3ds Max?

Is it making the flag a sub-object, or is it grouping them? i need a Maya to Max verbal translation as to what it is called in 3ds max that he does to make that flag connected, so i can follow in the Unreal Editor properly.