Download

How UE & Epic has made my life awesome.

There comes a time where you gotta let people know why you love 'em. This one is for all you Epic-employed folks around the world, and the community which has helped me reach this point. Y’all are awesome.

Read it Here

Great post, and I definitely agree! :slight_smile:

Same here. It’s great to see things like that!

I am with you on this one, 7 months ago I was staring at YouTube all day long watching C++ tutorials, learning how to draw an image on the screen, or spending 2 hours learning how to make an animation play. One day while I was browsing through some C++ forums, somebody posted something about companies wanting people that knew UE4. After a few days of pondering, I decided to take a closer look at UE4, and was instantly sucked in. I decided to download it. The day that I looked at it was just a few days after they made UE4 free, and I can assure you that had I looked at UE4 while it was still subscription based, the $20/mo or however much it was, it would have been a deal-breaker for me. I would just like to thank Epic Games, UE4 has made a huge impact in my life in the last 6-7 months, and I do not say that lightly. I now am able to do what I love, help out the community, earn a decent wage, and with time, make a living. Thanks again to Epic Games, and this amazing community!

It’s been a nice road for me also.

I work as a contractor in the IT world earning an above average wage for a 23 year old but the work wasn’t demanding enough and needed something more.

UE4 came out and I had original planned to be a bit of a Judas and purchase 1 month and cancel just to have the engine and then I saw Blueprints… Instantly a special relationship formed. I kept paying the subscription for UE4 and don’t regret it. 6-8 months down the line I have a fully replicated multi-player project with some advanced features and only myself working on programming. UE4 has made it possible for me to create something. I can’t yet code in C++ which is a downside but I know the nodes and what they do so translating the project at a later stage shouldn’t be like starting a fresh, Plus with the very bright future of BP maybe it’s not a road I have to go down.

I hope that my skills and team will prove worthy of this industry and I can eventually quit my day job and start a studio or join one (Epic ;)). That dream is very much going to slowly become a reality because of Epic and this Community.

I’m pleased for you guys above too that you have embarked on your dream! Awesome people.

See guys, C++ is not that scary :slight_smile: In hangout i usally sit on, there guy who i never thouth he gonna ever touch C++, he is artist and worked exlusivly on blueprints… and recently i notice he posted pull request in UE4 github and start messing around with engine tryting to fix something inside it :stuck_out_tongue:

Threads like this definitely make worthwhile all the effort we pour into the engine; and nice story Jamsh. Thanks for the support, all.

Man, it was really nice to read that, it is like reading my own thoughts, and is really encouraging, exciting and inspiring.
I have been checking out your progress from time to time, and I really like what I see.
Battlezone 2 was bloody fantastic back in the day, my brother and I sunk so many hours into that game, and I think a remake would be more than welcome! :slight_smile:
On a side note, another game that would be great to have a remake for, is “Machines” :wink:

I have to agree 110% with the sentiments shared in your blog, I have been putting in 70+ hours per week, plus working my day job as a electronics and entertainment sales person (more stressful than people think), and despite my day job being an incredible stress factor, I come home, I open up UE4, I have a cup of tea, I relax for a moment and unwind from my crappy, stressful day job, I get engulfed in my work in UE4 and it’s like my day job just doesn’t exist while I’m focused on my game development.
The best part is even when It’s a pain in the butt to try and get something working, and I am pulling my hair out, I’m not stressing, I’m actually enjoying the learning experience.
The community is awesome, the projects that the community are creating are awesome (mind blowing in some cases), and Epic Games are …well, living up to their name with their community support and involvement, as well as the obvious fact that they have provided this incredible tool set for us to use…for free!
Then to top that off, they introduced Unreal Dev Grants to help developers futher. I don’t really think it would be easy to find anybody working with Unreal Engine 4 that is lacking in motivation, because Epic Games have provided tonnes of it at every corner :slight_smile:

Just before I started with UE4, I did some work for the Chivalry Mapping Contest, and then some work afterwards. So back then, I started learning UDK kismet scripting, map editing, and making maps for Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. I sunk over 1000 hours into UDK in 3.5 months and created some really cool things that Chivalry: Medieval Warfare really didn’t even have at all (I created the map On The Edge as my contest entry (but unfortunately, my ambitions were greater than the limitations I had within kismet, so didn’t really win the big prize), and Colosseum , which is now an official map, and that was without touching a single line of code, so when UE4 came out, and the blueprint system was show-cased, my jaw dropped as it was like Kismet, which I felt I was really good at, despite only knowing the basics, and while it was like Kismet, it just seemed way more powerful, more intuitive and visually more appealing to work with.

UE4 was an immediate subscription from me. Then when it went free…my mind was blown, and my brother even grabbed UE4 as he saw some of the stuff I had done, and started making some really cool things himself :slight_smile:

Not one regret from me, or my brother, at all :slight_smile:

Thank you Epic Games :smiley:

this post made me like a little more Unreal engine :slight_smile:

Glad to see folks sharing their stories and successes! Keep them coming folks!

By the way I’ve had a few people ask me how I managed to get into C++ so quickly (I’m not sure I’d say quickly but there you go :p). I started by following the courses on www.cppinstitute.org, tried to go as far as I could while simultaneously learning how to do it in Unreal. After that I tried to turn a couple of Blueprint projects into code, then went all the way and tried to make small mods to ShooterGame (which is seriously, one of the best resources on the Learn tab). From there on it really is history. Anytime you get stuck you can always try Blueprint first and then transfer it over to learn.

The hardest parts to get your head around which is where I would have stopped if it wasn’t for outside help, are usually compiler errors. Circular Dependencies, Forward Declaration, LINKER errors etc. Once you know how to fix those however, you’re practically unstoppable.

I really want to start a C++ Tutorial series but it’s finding the time to do so, I’d like to do something on-par with Tom Looman’s survival series - but haven’t settled on an idea yet or figured out where to find the time to do so. It’s a pleasure to give back to a community when you get so much from it.

Dear Epic,

If I have one word to describe the hard-worked-effort-put-onto-in-present-to-future-by-personal-or-team to Unreal Engine for us; the community:: it would be ‘Santa’

You know why? good people give good things to good people, and in Epic, they don’t wait until December to do all that.

Cheers!