How to work with FBX files holding many meshes?

Hi Everyone !

I am a beginner on Unreal Engine, I work with Unreal 4.27.

I am currently learning how to manage LOD on static meshes, I read the official documentation, and I manage to make it work in one case but not in another case. I tried to find a solution to my issue, but I did not find. It may seems obvious to you, but may be I do not have the right words to search or understand.

So, if you want to try to help me, let me give you more details.

I got my assets from Quixel. I downloaded assets for some foliage, and then I got one FBX file per LOD for each static mesh. I import to my project the LOD 0 FBX file for each mesh I want, and then, in the static mesh editor, I import the next LOD for this mesh because I got 8 FBX files for one mesh, from LOD 0 to LOD 7.

Then I got assets for some rocks, and there is the issue. I got only 6 FBX files for LOD 0 to LOD 5. So I import LOD 0 FBX file to my project and then I got like 10 meshes. So I open one mesh in the static mesh editor, but when I want to import my LOD 1, I have to provide a FBX file, but my LOD 1 FBX file holds many meshes, and, of course, when I select it, the mesh imported for LOD 1 does not match the mesh for LOD 0.

How am I suppose to do when I got many meshes in one FBX file ?

Thanks for reading and for your help !

There’s two things you can do.

1. Given you’re trying to add LODs to this rock mesh (that was separated on import), You’re going to have to open the fbx in another software (Blender or 3DS Max) and export each mesh individually, then import them to UE4 again.

2. UE4 has a “import combined” option in the import dialogue to stick many meshes together. Check that this option is turned ON when you import the LOD0 mesh. This option only makes sense if the rocks are meant to stay stuck together as one mesh.

3. Mysterious 3rd option: They’re rocks and you can probably rely on UE4s automatic LOD tools rather than importing a hundred rock meshes. Reserve the extra LOD work for keypieces like architecture.

Hi ! Thank you very much for your answer !

Indeed, following your first advice, I opened it in Blender and I saw that all meshes were placed to stay together. So then I follow your second advice and finally the result is fine !