How to watch value of FString on debug mode?

in VS2013 how to watch value of FString on debug mode?
Char or TCHAR shows ok.
but FString does not show .

is it a visual Studio specific function or Unreal specific?

someone from IRC said me to install “Engine\Extras\VisualStudioDebugging\ue4.natvis”
i did that according to the doc.
copied it to “\Documents\Visual Studio 2013\Visualizers” and “C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\Packages\Debugger\Visualizers”

then i did rebuild using “debugEditor” configuration .
but still no luck.

am i missing something?
is there anyway to make sure that visual studio loading ue4.natvis successfully?

i am using visual studio 2013 ultimate edition.

The file ue4.natvis should only be copied to one location, and I guess the installation folder of Visual Studio would be a safer bet. If your system is 64bit, the correct path should be inside “Program Files (x86)” since Visual Studio is only available in 32bit binaries.
For example, I have these folders:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\Packages\Debugger\Visualizers
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\Packages\Debugger

The first one is correct, the second one is not.
Also, do you have it installed on the system drive (the one where Windows resides)? The installer could have made Common7/… folder structure on both drives, and you should select the one which has more files.

“Also, do you have it installed on the system drive (the one where Windows resides)? The installer could have made Common7/… folder structure on both drives, and you should select the one which has more files.”

ooooooooow.
that solved it.
yup.
i installed it in d drive.after putting it inside “D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\Packages\Debugger\Visualizers” everything started to work fine.
already have lost 5 valuable days only for this ■■■■.

anyway,thanks man.
[
epic should add this in their doc.anyway to notify them?
]

Also, from Microsoft’s documentation find in here:

you can add a new .natvis file, to an open C++ project, selecting the project node in the Solution Explorer, and clicking Add / New item / Visual C++ / Utility / Debugger visualization file (.natvis).
This works also for the solution node.

Hi Muzaheed,

Sorry for the slow response. I’ll check and see what we can do to improve the documentation in this area.

Hello, I am also encounter one question: how to watch the content of FString variable when gdb Dedicated Server on linux platform? It is extremely grateful for a mechanism!

is there any same kind of alternative for xcode on mac ?