How to use Vive Trackers in UE 5.2 and later versions

Is there a problem with it when -xrtrackingonly is not enabled? That option is designed to turn off the VR rendering when you want tracked devices in non-VR applications.

1 Like

How can I have hmd and tracking devices both enabled. As I need to do positioning of the objects using vive tracker and have to use hmd for rendering at same time.

It should just work by default. Make sure you are wearing the HMD and that the SteamVR dashboard is closed, so that the application has input focus.

Am I supposed to use Live Link ? Or is there anyother way to get positions from tracker ? Becase if I do not add -xrtrackingonly it does not see vive tracker at all.

You shouldn’t need LiveLink for regular VR applications. Us Motion Controller components with the Motion Sources set to the tracker roles instead, like in the tutorial linked above.

Got it, Thanks I will give it a try.

Hi,
I know it is off the topic but do you know how I can get position and orientation from motion controller. I am just unable to find relevant information for UE 5.3

The easiest way is to read the pose of the motion controller component.

Could you pllease provide any reference or link to the website with useful information ?
(Update): I got it working using VRPawn blueprint. But do you know how can I access this motion controller outside VRPawn ?

I haven’t seen anywhere with any useful information about it. I think the best option in general is to add an accessor function to the VRPawn, and get a reference to the player where you want to use the data.

1 Like

Are you able to use the Vive Trackers in UE 5.3 without LiveLink? I am still struggling to get it to work. How exactly did you do it?

Hi,
You don’t need livelink to use tracker. Follow the tutorial mentioned above and it will work.

Hello Rectus,

Do you know how to fix this warning (“LogHMD: Warning: GetControllerOrientationAndPositionForTime called with motion source Waist which is unknown. Cannot get pose.”). I have set motion source of my tracker to waist in Unreal and also the same in Steam VR. But it still gives me this warning and in gameplay my tracker is rotated 90 degress in X.

Hmm, not sure. The message suggests that the motion source doesn’t exist, which might mean that the Vive tracker plugin hasn’t loaded in properly. Could be that there is a race condition somewhere, and it hasn’t added the motion sources in.

1 Like