How to use specific player start

Hey guys,

So I’m having a hard time figuring something out with multiple player starts in a single area, but everything I read is for multiplayer games, and I’m making a single player.

So my question here is, how do I designate a player start to a certain collision box. For instance, I have a main, shrine, and bay area I’m working with. The shrine is essentially the middle zone for them, so it has 2 player starts in it, one at the path to the main, and another one off to the side for the bay. And eventually, the main will have upwards of 5. But regardless which area I come from, it more or less bounces back and fourth between player starts randomly. Just going shrine to bay over and over again hits the one it should maybe 30 percent of the time, and the other one every other time Can I bind a start to a level change collision box?

I’m still relatively new to unreal, and the map I’m working on is mostly for learning, playing around with everything, stuff like that. So any help is very appreciated!

So are you saying you hit a collision box in a different location level and load in to another level at either the shrine or the bay and you would like to spawn at a specific one of those places?

More or less. I have the level transition set, that works. I just want it to come in at a certain spot. I was trying to use 2 player starts, since its 2 different entrances to get into the area. So when I enter the level I would load in near the entrance I entered through, loading in at the shrine to bay entrance if I’m coming from the bay, or loading at the shrine to main entrance if I’m coming from the main area. Like I said though, it’s kind of hit a miss. It will be perfect 2 or 3 times, and then just start jumping between the two player starts randomly.

Jbs - see below… :slight_smile:

Alright, I’m on board so far. I will try looking into making the game save level information, because I have no idea how to do that either. Thank you!

Take a look at this:

So you’re changing maps after walking into a collision box?

If you’re moving between maps ( levels ) and you want to use different player starts, you need to store information in the save game. Before you leave level A, you can record which player start you want to use when you come back. Then when you come back to that level, you read from the save game which player start you’re supposed to use and put the player there.

Also notice that player starts can have a ‘tag’. It’s a string the gets associated with the player start. So you can say in the savegame, ‘I want to use the player start with the tag xyz when I come back’.

It’s a way of telling player starts apart.

You can use the “Teleport” node to move the player, and do it at start of the game