How to use Metahuman Facial control rig (Inside UE5) with another mesh that has same joints

Hi everyone. Recently i’ve been trying to use another mesh with m etahuman rig. On maya i’ve imported a metahuman and binded all the joints to my new mesh (Body and face), all my joints have the same name as metahuman. But when I import it back to Unreal 5 I have two main problems, first one is that I can’t at all use the face control rig with my new face (I’ve already tried to re-import the DNA file but this time using my skeletal mesh and Tried to re-import my mesh but using the face archetype skeleton, but it doesn’t work at all). On maya it works perfectly (Control rig and body joints). And the second problem is that, first I needed to separate body and head, and they match perfectly on maya, but on UE5 the seam is totally visible and it bends really weirdly. I can send any file or screenshot if needed.

You should:

1. use existing face archetype skeleton MetaHumans/Common/Face/Face_Archetype_Skeleton

2. import DNA file to your skeletal mesh. This will add data to control the animation (joints movement, blendshapes, wrinkle maps).

3. set Post Process Anim Blueprint to MetaHumans/Common/Face/Face_PostProcess_AnimBP. This will enable the playback of procedural facial animations based on CTRL_expressions_* curve values

4. set default Animation Rig to MetaHumans/Common/Face/Face_ControlBoard_CtrlRig. This will allow to drive curve values by face board controls.

2 Likes

Wow thank you so much!! I was looking for this for a week and couldn’t find a way of solving my problem, it’s really strange because I’ve tried it all, but not in this order you listed, thanks again! Now both body and head work, but I’m still having this second problem: While using the original metahuman blueprint to connect head and body, this happen:

. Do you know what should be causing this? Maybe the metahuman blueprint? They both have same joint names (Root - Pelvis - etc…)

Is there still a problem if you use the standard metahuman body and custom head?
If the answer is yes and the skinning is done correctly, then the cause of the problem is probably in the wrong orientation (rotation) of the bones in the custom head skeleton.

When I use the original metahuman body and this new head it works fine, the problem is when I use the new body, it has the same joints as the original metahuman but not the original skeleton inside UE5, I generated another one because It breakes when I use the original. Here’s how it looks (Left is with metahuman body and right with the new one):
And thank you so much again for the help!

Actually, never mind. I managed to solve the second problem. I just needed to export the body rig from Metahuman directly into Maya without using the bridge, and then bind it again. It worked well, and I could also use it as sk_manequin. Now, I only have one more problem. The head and mesh are separate meshes, and you can notice the mismatch inside Unreal. I believe this issue can be resolved by improving the weights in Maya, right?

It’s good that the problem was solved. Yes, to get rid of seam issue the positions, normals, and skin weights of vertices at the body-head connection loop should completely match.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.