How to update Vault (in the Launcher)

Hi, does the downloaded content in the Launcher Vault get automatically updated? I couldn’t figure out a way to update it manually. It seems like some of those projects have newer versions than when I downloaded them, so I’d expect to be able to update them. There is a cloud icon next to some of them, but unlike the info icon it doesn’t have any tooltip on mouseover, and it cannot be clicked.

Hi Dimitrov,

The vault has been recently overhauled to be more user friendly. When you go to install a asset from the vault it is designed to detect the required version of the asset then check whether you have the asset downloaded locally already. If you don’t it will automatically download it and then install it for you, if you do have it downloaded it will check for any updates and download these if available.

You can still use the vault when you are offline however you will only be able to see and interact with the data that you already have downloaded.

If you are seeing the green cloud icon it means that you have yet to download any data for this asset, you have simply purchased it. When you first install the item it should download onto your machine, this will change the green cloud to a size of the downloaded data on your machine.

The only exception to this rule currently are engine plugins, these will always have a green cloud icon due to the special way plugins behave compared to other asset types.

I hope this answers your question, let us know if you are having any issues which aren’t covered by my description.

Thanks for your answer! It looks like the Launcher is acting smart about this :slight_smile:
One thing I’d like to point out is that usually people prefer to have some control over large downloaded assets. Normally I’d like to be able to see what versions of the asset I have on my disk, and maybe delete ones I don’t need etc. The automatic behavior is a nice simplification in most cases, but can also be annoying when you want more control.
Not sure I’m right about this, just sharing a thought. It looks good and works for me :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback Dimitrov, you might be interested to know that during the development process we did consider this exact issue. We have some plans for implementing finer grain control in the future, however we currently have no fixed timeline for that.

Always good to know we are in sync with our users though.

The Vault is not updating, I can’t get assets that I am buying to download at all. This is getting pretty frustrating.

Apparently when you get to 1000 assets in your Vault they just cut you off and let you keep buying stuff that you can’t access. I have been really happy with Epic up till now. And I have to admit that I am really angry about them letting me spend hundreds of dollars on stuff that I can’t even access!

Apparently when you get to 1000 assets in your Vault they just cut you off and let you keep buying stuff that you can’t access. I have been really happy with Epic up till now. And I have to admit that I am really angry about them letting me spend hundreds of dollars on stuff that I can’t even access!