How to update text without affecting all localisations?

Hello,

I have a game with completed localisations but I need to make some minor changes to the main language without affecting other languages.

Is there a way for me to change text in the main language without affecting any of the localised languages?

Currently, if I make any chances to the text in English, it flushes out all localisations for that string.

Thank you,

If you enable the “Skip Source Check” option under the “Compile Text” section for your localization target, then that will skip the validation check when building the LocRes files and allow “stale” text to be used at runtime.

PO files will still export with an empty translation though, and the translation dashboard would show the entry as untranslated (with a stale translation).

You’d need to gather and compile after making the source changes in order to update the source hash in the LocRes files.

Thanks Jamie.
Sadly, I’ve not been able to get this to work.

I’ve checked the “Skip Source Check” option under the “Compile Text” section, however when I change any text, it removed the localised text as well. I have tested this in a packaged game.

To confirm, I didn’t gather or compile the localisation. I simply changed a bit of text for a widget that was already localised. Once I loaded the packaged game, that text reverted to English and was missing the ‘stale’ localisation.

Is there anything else I need to do for this to work correctly?

Once I gather+compiled it worked for text in widgets. Thanks Jamie!

However, text in a dialogue plugin I’m using (FText variable inside a Data Asset) doesn’t work. Any changes I make to the dialogue text removes the native translations. Any idea why this is not working?

Is the plugin somehow changing the key for every edit?

Thats exact what it was. The key was being changed. Thank you Jamie! Really appreciate the support.