How to update an Actor in the Content Browser based on the changes made in the World Outliner?

Hi,
I created an empty actor in Content Browser.
Then I added it into my level.
Then I added other actors in that actor that I dropped into the world.

How do I update this actor in Content Browser with the changes I made in World Outliner?

I am looking for equivalent to what is in Unity Apply Prefab Changes.

Thank you.

why did you added an empty actor into your level?

and how did you added other actors in the actor? do you mean as child actor components inside the empty actor?

actors dropped in the editor are instances of the actor class you have in the browser. if you change default values to the actors in a level, those changes belong to that instance. You cannot update default class values with a placed instance class.

There must be some plugin that allows you to do what you are looking.

why did you added an empty actor into your level?

• To serve as a place holder for thousand other actors inside.

and how did you added other actors in the actor? do you mean as child actor components inside the empty actor?

• yes

Shame that I cannot do this.

I used the pipeline: Import Into Level, imported a fbx file with thousands of static and other type of meshes. Then I just grouped them under on actor that serves as a controller of the imported ones. I want everything in one Actor. That’s the concept of a Prefab.

When you want to make changes to all instances, it’s better to do them on BP class.

1 Like

Ok, I understood that there is simply no way of doing it.

I will look into making a plugin or something that runs trough every actor in my parent actor, then creates new blueprint out of that. If possible. In Unreal, there is nothing simple, everything requires extra work, and there is extra few crashes while doing that.

Good luck @Roadified !

For your information, there is one plugin named Prefab Tool available on marketplace (paid).
The plugin is not mine, but I thought that you must know it.

1 Like

Hmm, it shows as Unavailable for me. Was it obsoleted?

It seems to be updated for me.

Hey there.

I know that this post is a few months old, but anyone looking for the answer to this…

For UE5

1. Select actor instance in Outliner
  2. In Details tap, click the “Edit blueprint for actor” button
  3. Select “Apply Instance Changes to Blueprint”
    Screenshot 2023-01-02 123655

This is Unreal’s version of Unity’s Prefab apply changes

3 Likes

thanks a lot!