How To Trigger New Event with Same TriggerBox

I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. When I up to the trigger it’s only showing widget B. Here are some pics of what I’ve done. The first pic was done in Level Blueprint.

Just to be sure, in the first picture you have, I should have that setup in the trigger BP right?

Wait no never mind lol

Actually do I connect the Control Panel Reference to the set switch active node? in the switch bp?

The branch node for “switch active” is what keeps widget b from showing up until the switch is flipped on.

I’m sorry that was an older message I had pending for a review. The only thing I’m a little confuse on is where do I connect the Control Panel Reference to? Is it to the set switch active node? in the switch bp?

The control panel has the “switch active” boolean. So from within the switch BP you need to get a reference to the control panel BP so you can modify that variable. Otherwise the control panel will have no way of knowing when the switch became active

Thanks buddy, I’m going to try out as soon as I get home tonight.

Hey man, I’m so sorry to bother you again. I thought I got it but I’m still only seeing Widget B (the one that appears when the switch isn’t on) appear. I attached some pics to see if I’m missing something. Thanks again in advance.

So you got this all messed up dude. The boolean can’t be in 2 different blueprints that’s not how things work. In the LEVEL BP you have the boolean “switch active” which actually determines the output pathway for the widget to be displayed. You always get “widget B” because this boolean is always false. When I said you have to get a reference to your control panel BP it was so that you could modify that boolean to “true”. However, I did not know what I was referring to as your “control panel” was actually the LEVEL BP. This is an issue because you can’t “cast to” the level BP. It is a dead zone blueprint you can’t access it the way you access a regular BP. It would require event dispatchers and a whole mess of things. Much easier is to create a BP with a “collision box” and call this the “control panel” BP and have it hold the script for widget creation. Then when the player enters the switch BP area the switch will get a reference to the control panel BP and change the variable within the control panel BP (formerly your Level BP) so that the boolean is actually different. As you have it, you have 2 booleans, 1 in the level BP one in the switch. Changing the switch BP boolean value does NOT change the level BP boolean value even though you named them the same thing the variables are completely different. You might as well have called one “switch activated” and the other one “player killed”. They are completely unrelated to the computer.

Hey Nebula, see I had a feeling I was butchering this. I’m still very new to this and only understand the very basics. This is why I appreciate you help a lot. I think I understand what your explaining. So in order to make this more easier and understandable it’s better to create BP in collision boxes and have them communicate with each other, right? I am going to try to get this fix tomorrow and see if I can get it.

No problem man. Yes that would be easier. Then you can cast to the blueprint or in this case you might need a “get all actors” node to find the switch BP, or if they are both in the level at the start you can give the control panel a direct reference to the switch by creating a variable of switch actor type in the control BP and exposing it to be instance editable then in the details panel of the editor you can select that variable and give it a hard reference to the switch actor in the level from the start. Casting is the basic issue here for modifying these variables. I have a good tutorial explaining exactly what this whole process is all about if you care to watch I think it will help clarify things for you. The link is below…it is the first video in this series but you may find others useful depending on your level of expertise :slight_smile:

I want to say thank you my friend for all your help. Although it took me a while to figure it out after watching your tutorials more than once, I finally figured it out. I also subscribe to your channel, so looking forward to you coming out wit more entertaining and wonderful tutorial. Although I felt like kicking my self when I found out it was actually that easy lol. So yeah, thanks again man I really appreciate everything…

Haha glad it finally worked out. And I appreciate the support! As for the tutorials we are currently working on releasing a fully playable space game project template for learning purposes. So you can see a bunch of stuff from the tutorials and elsewhere in action.

No problem, I’m glad to support another game designer/ developer and I look forward to the tutorials.