How to tell Epic Launcher where UE is installed?

Hi,

After reinstalling Windows, I’m having trouble linking UE with the Epic Launcher. The Epic Launcher is on the C drive, but UE is on a different drive. Can you please advise me on how to direct the Launcher to recognize where UE is installed?

1 Like

open launcher, create new project to path your old project.
after reopen your old project showing on UE launcher.

I can’t create a new project because the launcher doesn’t realize that there is UE installed on my PC.

1 Like

Hi Acro,

You can navigate directly to UnrealEditor.exe (YourInstallDirectory\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_5.1\Engine\Binaries\Win64) and any created projects should show up in the launcher.

To re-link the version in the editor, try ‘Installing’ it over-top of the existing editor. In a perfect world, the launcher will recognize that the files already exist and not re-download them. (I haven’t tried doing this, so please let us know if this works for you)

1 Like

do one thing,
Instal UE-5.1.1 New folder 1% only via Epic game launcher,
then your old UE-5.1.1 cut it and past on new folder overlap.
It’s working.

1 Like

I tried to install it in the same directory, but it says that the folder is not empty and it can’t install in that folder.

Create new empty folder in d:/epic or you want any place.
I am sure, it’s working.

Even if you succeed in relinking it to the epic Launcher (by clicking UE4Editor.exe or UnrealEditor.exe, according to the version), it will be displayed as “Source build at %yourPath%”, and you won’t be able to download plugins or update it from the marketplace (content packs should work normally).

The best thing you can do is downloading it again (I wish there was a better way, I have like 5 engine versions installed and every time I format it’s a pain to reinstall them all)

3 Likes

Ok, I have found the solution.

First, you need to find the folder where your EU is installed (W:\Program Files\Epic Games) and change the name of UE_5.1 (or whatever version you have) to something other than UE_5.1, you can add UE_5.1_old (doesn’t matter).
Then you start the installation in the launcher (choose W:\Program Files\Epic Games) and then stop it after a few minutes, then you cut the files from your old folder to the new one, and delete the _old folder. Restart the launcher and resume installation, and it will check all the files, determine that everything is fine, and finally recognize that you have a version of UE.

7 Likes

I’ve tried this in the past, but the verifying process took more time than downloading it, that’s why I didn’t recommend it.
I’m glad you solved your issue (you can mark your own answer as solution)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.