How to start UE4 instance when building from source after I've closed the Visual Studio project without having to build it from scratch every time?

Hello, my first question here, so I hope I file it correctly. In order to use ARCore I’m required to build UE4 from source. This took a really long time but I finally managed to do run it. It was working fine when I start a new instance without actually closing Visual Studio 2019. Now I’m trying to open it again for the second time after I’ve closed VS and when I open the project and try to start a new instance it starts the whole build process from scratch, which took 7+ hours the first time I did it. Is this how things are supposed to work normally and do I need to rebuild the whole project every time I close Visual Studio or is there another way to simply start UE4? I’m really hoping there is a solution to this issue. Thank you in advance and a good day to whoever this reaches!

1 Like

Hi braekbot

Once your build of UE Source is complete. The executable for the editor is located here:

C:[Unreal Srouce]\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor.exe

You can create a shortcut to your desktop or something.

I also recommend you running:

C:[Unreal Srouce]\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UnrealVersionSelector.exe

This will register your build so you can access the build from the “Select Version” menu when you right click a .uproject file.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Alex

1 Like

Hey Alex,

Thank you so much for your quick answer! When I saw it I was so relieved and rushed to the directory, but unfortunately UE4Editor.exe doesn’t seem to be there. I tried the default Epic directory in the main drive in case something got mixed up, but alas there’s no such exe at all. This is the engine directory for sure, but I have no idea why it’s missing. I’m attaching a screenshot of all the exe files in Win64 just in case you have any idea as to why that might be.

338509-allexe.jpg

Hi braekbot

Are you 100% sure you’re building the editor?

Also, make sure you are using the engine’s solution file (ue4.sln) and not a project solution file.
Check as well that the solution UE4 is set as “Start up project”.

It does look like it’s not building everything.

For comparison, here is my Win64 directory.

Hope this helps.

Alex

Hey,

Thanks again for getting back to me. I do all of the above, but I definitely don’t have those other execs in my folder. I have no idea as to why it didn’t build them, so I guess I have no choice but to rebuild and see if they appear this time around. I’ll update in case I find out anything else.

Hi braekbot

Hmmm, this is a strange one. It should be building…

I do see that some of your files haven’t been modified for a while, so maybe it’s got confused somewhere and thinks it already has it. Unreal does like to get drunk sometimes :smiley:

Personally, I would remove and re-add the Engine (I know this will take longer), but at least you can guarantee that you are working with fresh files.

If you go with the rebuild, select “Clean” first. (Rebuild should do this automatically), but it’s always best to be absolutely sure.

Hopefully, you will get this sorted. Feel free to provide me with any updates, I might be able to assist better with more information.

Good luck!

Alex

Another thing I can suggest, although it shouldn’t be necessary. I normally change the build platform to “Arm64”.

Right click the solution → Properties → Platform.

Good luck!

Alex

Hey Alex,

Updating with the result. I took your advice and went for a full clean install, so I completely got rid of everything. I also made sure to clean the registry and did a disk cleanup just so I’m sure there’s no leftover junk or temp files messing up the install. I set the build platform to Arm64 started the build but this time the whole process took 10+ hours, which makes me think I might not have clicked Development Editor last time and that might have been the issue. My Win64 exe list looks like this now and all seems to be working well!

Thank you so much for taking the time and helping out, honestly means a lot!

All the best in everything you do!

338590-exeupdate.jpg

Hi braekbot

That’s great news. I am glad this got sorted. If I was you, I would open a project (any) and build it. The first time the Unreal Build tool will run, it will need to build all the files for the engine, this process can also take a long time.

Please could you accept me as the correct answer so it’s easier for others to find if they have similar issues.

Good luck!

Alex

Hey,

You should already be marked as the correct answer, I made sure to do it right away. Let me know if it’s not showing up.

I saw it updated after my comment. Thanks!
Good luck with working with AR Core.

Best wishes

Alex.