How to spawn 2 player characters using 2 different set of input?

Hi all, I am working on a 2player co-op 2d sidescroller, puzzle platformer project. I’m having troubles making the 2nd player receive input. Here’s what i am trying to do.

1. Spawn 2 player characters
  2. Use 2 gamepads or 1 gamepad and 1 keyboard to control them individually.

I’ve looked and tried almost everything on the forum about this topic, but nothing seems to work for me. All of it has got me so confused to a point that I am just going to start a new project and start fresh.
Any help will be appreciated.

Hey!

As far as I know, you can’t have 2 pawns at same keyboard so other player has to be actor (Correct me if I’m wrong)
Maybe this helps :slight_smile:

You could do this setup:
have single player controller, that reads all keyboard input
then have 2 pawns that do not read keyboard input directly, but player controller sends them values instead

It gets a bit more complicated when you want do characters, because they require controller.
So for this create Keyboard AI controller. You send instructions to pawn then pawn sends instructions over to controller AI.
And that AI moves pawn.

Then last of your problems is splitscreen.

I did similar setup for Top Down shooter, it has 4 characters and 1 to 4 players.
Each player can switch to and then control any unpossesed character.

Did you find decision of split screen problem? I’ve got the same issue and not solve it yet.

No I am making multiplayer game, no splitscreen. But there are nodes in blueprints to do it. And there are tutorials about setting it.

You can go to Project Settings>>Maps and Modes, under “Local Multiplayer”, uncheck “Use SplitScreen”

Does this set up work for multiple inputs? I’ll have 2 gamepads, controlling 1 pawn each? When I set up the axis inputs for both gamepads in my Playercontroller blueprints, it uses both the inputs for the default character.

Thanks mate.