How to setup the character control correctly between levels?

Hello everyone,
I’m new to unreal engine and this is my first forum post. Hopefully you accept me among you guys. and thank you for every contribution from you along our journey together.

Before I post this issue I have searched the forum and the internet including asking ChatGPT 4, BARD, but all answers didn’t solve my problem.

The problem in short:
When clicking on new game button, a new level opens and the character get spawned normally, but no control capability or movement. It just stuck on the screen.

Problem in details:

I setup 2 levels, the first is map0 for main menu that includes a character selection screen and some buttons.

The second level which I call “Level_1” is where the player will play and the chosen character is supposed to be spawned to.

What happens is that I can spawn the selected character to the next level, however there is something wrong in my setup where it doesn’t activate the input and player controller ability.

I have prepared a video to show you my setup and the blueprints I have created for the main menu, character selection and display, player controller and so on.

here you can watch the video:
LINK: charcterMovementProblem.mp4 - Google Drive

Please note my project is using Unreal Engine 5.2
The project is intended to target Mobile, C++ as the main, however I prefer to setup the player controller and widgets using blueprints as you will see in the video.

Looking forward to hear from you all. Thank you in advance.

Deng this is hard to assist. Your video is 10 minutes long with no voice explanation. It’s tough for us to understand what you are trying to explain through your setup. However, I have a few things that you could try.

1. Without transitioning levels, does your level_1 work by default? If you open level_1 from the content browser does the input work when you play?

2. Double-check your input setup. Also, make sure your player character is possessable when spawned.

3. Don’t have to worry about the controller, the engine will set it to the player controller by default. The problem might be your character is not possessed. But, it can be other things too.

Thank you for your reply, and sorry if the video is confusing.

1. Without transitioning levels, does your level_1 work by default? If you open level_1 from the content browser does the input work when you play?

The level works fine if I opened it from the content browser and changed the “Default pawn class” to be the default third person, but with the same default third person character, when I open the Level_1 using the “New Game” button in the widget blueprint which appears in map0 it doesn’t work.

Here is a screen shot for the “New Game” button blueprints

1. Double-check your input setup. Also, make sure your player character is possessable when spawned.

I didn’t setup the input, however I’ve created a custom player controller to be used in the world settings as the player controller class. Here is a screenshot:

1. Don’t have to worry about the controller, the engine will set it to the player controller by default. The problem might be your character is not possessed. But, it can be other things too.
How to make sure that the character is possessed?

I have found the solution for the problem. It’s related to character possession like what @56legion has mentioned.

Here is the solution for anyone who might face the same issue:

1- Open your character third person blueprint.
2- In details panel search for “Input” section and set Auto Receive Input to “Player 0”.
3- In same details panel search for “Pawn” section and set “Auto Possess Player” to “Player 0” as well.
4- Do the previous steps with all your characters blueprints that you spawn in the levels (Open details panel and make the changes).

In case if the details panel is not exist, you can open it from “Window” menu.

More details about the source of this solution is here by Krxtopher

Thank you all.

Glad I could give some assistance.
Good luck!

1 Like

I appreciate your valuable contribution. my regards :slight_smile: